Chapter 15

*AYYYEEEEEE CREEPS. SORRY THIS TOOK A WHILE. BUT GUYS IT'S ALMOST CHRISTMAS!!! :DDDD LET'S GET READY TO GET OUR CHEER ON!!

QUESTIONS!!:
-What is your favorite food? (I eat EVERYTHING •-•)
-What do you want for Christmas? (Just money and video games for meh! :D And an alpaca. ._. Don't ask.)

ENJOY THIS CHAPTER GUYS!! :D*

Stay Creepy, My Friends!~

Chapter 15

The crunching of leaves, twigs and dirt kept echoing under my feet and traveling around the trees. These noises were amplified by my father's own footfall and the mule's hooves. My father walked ahead of me as he held on to the mule's reins and I trudged beside the tall animal. I looked up and eyed the sacks of supplies and clothes hooked and tied onto the mule's saddle. I sighed, knowing that neither me nor my father would be able to ride the animal by all of the things on its back.

I diverted my attention to the temperate forest around me, eyeing the many trees and plumes of leaves hanging down. Nothing but a sea of forest surrounded us. Nothing but dirt and grass under us and nothing but sky above. Nothing for miles. I adjusted the cap around my head and groaned quietly at the sweat that dampened my neck. Father and I have been walking for days. We had just left another home of ours to escape more people that are out for my blood. And I had really liked that cottage too..

"Father," I called out to him. He turned around without a word, eyeing me with his calming yet intimidating eyes. I huffed, "How long until we reach our new home?"

Father sighed and pushed up his glasses. "We still have another day left to walk," he answered me and I could feel tears brim my eyes. How long has it been since we started this journey? How long has it been since we rested? I couldn't keep myself from whimpering and crying, "Father, my feet are blistering...! I can't walk like this any longer! I'll lose all feeling in my feet if I keep walking like this! Please, can't we stop?"

Father had slowed to a stop, as did the mule, and I sighed. When I stood still, I nearly buckled to the ground as my feet were barely able to sustain my weight in their condition. Father had kneeled down and placed his hands on my shoulders, squeezing them and looking me in the eyes. I expected him to tell me that we may stop and rest but instead he only told me, "Emily, we can't stop. We have to keep moving or else we'll lose daylight."

Staring at him in disbelief, I shook my head and murmured, "B-But.. Father I'll collapse eventually..! Please can't we stop for just a minute?! My dress is tattered and dirty and damp from my own sweat! My feet are bleeding!! Bleeding, Father! Most of it is dry already!"

"You don't think I feel agony having to walk?" He grumbled, "I feel terrible right now, Emily. My throat is parched, my legs are sore and yes, my feet are bleeding too. But am I complaining? No. Do I want to endure this? Absolutely not. Do I have to? Yes. Emily, you have to understand that if you want to be safe, if you want us to be safe, then you have to sacrifice many things. In order to live a happy life, you have to be willing to work and suffer to achieve it. Unfortunately, we have it harder than others. But we must prevail. Now, I will not have you whining and admitting defeat over something as cheap as walking. This is a hell of a lot better than what could happen to us if we're caught. So be thankful that you're not in chains right now. Keep walking."

I sniffled and nodded weakly. Father stood up straight and turned forward to keep walking along the dirt path. The mule beside me huffed, shook its head and started forward. I gulped down what little saliva my mouth mustered and took a step to begin walking again. Searing pain shot up my ankles from my heels and I suppressed my need to cry out or wince. The more steps I took, the more I begged for Father to call out our break. I could just stop and rest but Father would get angry with me and possibly drag me onto my feet. He'd tie a rope between me and the mule if he had to. He's done that sort of thing before.