Chapter Thirty Five

I didn't say another word.

Not to Maddox at least.

I was mad, in fact, I was furious. There was no way that I would let him treat me like that, not without some form of punishment. My heart ached, his words cutting deeper then I thought that it would. I could see Maddox through the window, talking with Omnia and Jupiter, I watched their faces. 

It seemed neutral, maybe tinged with disappointment, perhaps a little fear. But they didn't seem to be getting angry, nor hinting to an anger-induced shift. So I had to suppose that it was going well, or, at least, they had accepted Maddox's words.

I wasn't lying, until they improved their human rights regulations, we would not be returning.

Never again did I want to see, or hear that anything like what had happened today had or was planning to be repeated.

Was it planned? Had the wolves known all along and simply toyed with the idea? Willingly leading us into a massacre? I didn't know, but knowing would make it worse.

Maddox returned, Zina and Elliot following behind him. They held no luggage, Seraphine sleeping soundly in a pram.

"Omnia and Jupiter understood and our flight is within the hour." Maddox began, his face sad and hopeful as he watched me. "They apologised sincerely about what happened."

I said nothing, sparing one, hate-filled glance before looking back out onto the city.

"Please," HIs voice cracked, "Say something, please,  I'm sorry, I didn't mean it."

I refused to look at him.

"Come on Elora," Zina said kindly, "I'll walk with you."

I stood up and Zina passed the pram over to Elliot. Who quickly scooped Sera into his arms and pushed the pram out of the walkway.

Zina grabbed onto my hand and started walking me down the stairs,

"Look, you be as mad at him as you want. He crossed a line, and you have no obligation to forgive him." Zina added, 

"Have you ever been so mad at Elliot that you can't even stand to look at him?" I whispered, my eyes trained on the floor.

Zina strained her neck, "I suppose, but I caved after a few hours."

"What happened?" I bit my tongue.

"I had just found out I was pregnant, I'm slightly ashamed to say, but it was only a month after I had arrived here. I went to tell Elliot, thinking he would be ecstatic, but, he wasn't. He went on a rage, saying that we should have been more careful and that maybe now wasn't the right time-"

I gasped, "He didn't tell you too..."

Zina shrugged, "He heavily implied it. I left him and went and stayed in another room for the rest of the day. I mostly just cried."

"That makes no sense, Elliot loves Sera; she's the light of his life," I said, still shocked.

"It's almost funny to think about it now, I've never seen a man be so willing to do whatever I wanted during a pregnancy. Anyway, he sat at my door the whole time. First, he was just apologising, then he started crying, and then he started singing. God that man can't sing, so I went to go and tell him to shut up and he refused to let me go." Zina said, smiling fondly at the memory. "Anyway, don't just go straight back to him, make Maddox work for it."

"Trust me, I will. I'm furious with him." I rolled my eyes. "It's strange, I feel so close with you, Peyton and Callie as well. But when it comes to Elliot, Dakota and Cassius, they still feel like strangers."