Chapter 17 part 1

I could see their mouths moving, but I was too busy examining their necks to pay attention. If I could just get one tiny bite out of it...

"Gemma?"

I snapped out of my trance, and turned to Elena. "Yeah?"

"Um...Caroline asked if you wanted to come with us to the dance," she responded.

"What dance?" I asked confused.

"Prom?" Bonnie said surprised.

I shook my head. "No thanks. Um, I have to go now."

I stood up and walked away quickly. "What's wrong with her?" I heard Caroline ask.

"I don't know."

I was out the Grill quickly, and was instantly met by the cold wind. It didn't bother me much, but it just got all my hair in the way. Recently I had gone from cotton candy hair, to brown, the closest brown to my hair color. It suits me better.

My skateboard was no longer a no for me, as I put too much pressure on it when I rode it, which caused it to crack. I was now using Jer's truck, but he had taken it, so my feet were my sole companion.

"Please tell me you aren't walking alone."

I turned to Tyler and stared astonished at him. It's been literally a month since I last talked to him...well. I think. The memory was received a month ago, so maybe a little later.

"Hey."

"I haven't seen you," he responded as he walked near me.

"Yeah, well here I am."

His smile dropped. "I heard what happened to you." I gulped and nodded. "I guess word travels fast in a town of vampires."

"Pretty fast."

We stood there awkwardly. I didn't know what to say, so I turned around and started walking away. "Hey! Wait up."

I cursed in my mind, but stopped. "Let me walk with you."

I nodded, and he was instantly at my side. "Don't you just love this weather?"

"I can't feel coldness anymore, so I'd have to say no."

"...Right." He stayed silently for a while, but then said, "you saw the memory didn't you?"

I nodded. "I was furious. You compelled me...I didn't know how to feel at first, so I guess that was my first response."

I shrugged, and continued walking. I was still a little angry about that. Tyler and I had been stuck to the hip since we were small, now this happens? The bond is broken, and it will take a long time to fix itself.

"I'm sorry. But it was for the best," he said.

"Yeah."

We walked in silence. It felt nice. I guess I hadn't had company that won't nag at me. Or something in that matter. It's just...perfect. We were nearing my street, well some streets close to mine.

I heard a small swish sound, and turned to look at Tyler. He was no longer next to me. I did a whole 360 degree turn, but didn't see, nor hear, him.

"What the hell?"

"Are you lost?"

I frightened a little, but soon relaxed. I got a strange smell, and said, "werewolf."

"I'm guessing you're a vampire," the mystery stranger said.

I looked at him carefully. Elijah had warned me about this. Only a certain person could save my life if I got bit by a werewolf, and I wasn't interested.