Chapter 17: Matched

Artwork not by me (username on bottom right of artwork)

Once you had finally recovered enough to return to school, you had expected it to turn out like any other regular day. And like every other time you assumed something, you were very wrong.

The moment you  set foot in your classroom, heads turned towards you, and people practically leapt out of their seats. Your classmates approached you, looking at your few bandaged limbs, and asking you worried questions. You were so startled by the crowd, that you could barely get a word in.

What startled you more however, was when the questions shifted in a different direction.

"I can't believe you took down Gavin Reed!!" A girl squeaked.

"W-What?!" You stuttered, but the people just kept talking.

"Not just Gavin Reed," A boy said excitedly, "But Leo, and the Traci's!!"

"I-I umm--"

"Can I have your autograph?!"

"Autograph sessions are later!!" A female voice called above the crowd, and moments later, gentle but firm arms pulled you from the group. You sighed in relief when you saw that it was Kara. "Are you okay [F/N]?"

"I-I think so..." You murmured, still trying to catch your breath. "W-What's all this about?" You took in Kara's face, then noticed Connor and Markus standing beside her.

"You've become a bit of a celebrity..." Connor replied with a sheepish grin.

"Everyone's been talking about you," Markus continued, "And about how you took down the biggest bullies in the school."

"B-But I didn't...." You started to say, but you were interrupted by a voice at the classroom door. The crowd began to part as a man came inside: but it was not Mr Anderson as you were expecting.

"ALL OF YOU, TO YOUR SEATS IMMEDIATELY!" The unknown man shouted, and at the sound of his voice, students scrambled back to their chairs. "I return, only to find that your previous monkey of a teacher has turned the classroom into a zoo." You followed the other students, and quickly moved back to your desk. You glanced at Kara in the desk to your right nervously, and she gave you a timid smile.

The man had brown hair, with wrinkle lines around his mouth, as if he has never smiled in his entire life. He strode towards the desk that had once belonged to Mr Anderson, and slammed a file onto it, causing the students in the room to flinch.

"I leave for a single term... and already the average grade level has gone down by 10%. What is the meaning of this?" His eyes swiveled around the room, but no one answered. "Well?"

"Maybe because for the first time, we weren't slaves," Josh griped, and a few students snickered.

"See me after class," The man growled, and Josh made an annoyed noise in the back of his throat. Everyone went very silent.

"Well, let's start from the beginning shall we?" He continued, then turned towards the board, beginning to write in chalk. Moments later, he turned back to face the class, with a name written on the board. "My name is Richard Perkins. You will only address me as Mr Perkins."

"Richard suits him," One student said quietly, "Because he really is a--"

"WHO SAID THAT?" Everyone went deathly silent. "I will not tolerate disrespect in this class. I will personally ensure that those who disrespect me get the worst possible experience in this classroom. And trust me, you do not want to cross me."

After that jarring introduction, Mr Perkin's called Markus to the front of the classroom, and assigned everyone else to writing a sudden and unexpected essay. When Mr Perkin's was distracted, you glanced towards Connor, who was seated slightly behind you, near the window. When you made eye contact, he gave you a slight smile.