Chapter 2

After her quick stop in the office, Kayla hopped into her hybrid hatchback and hit the highway for the two hour drive to her hometown of Smooth Lake, Ontario in the Kawarthas.  

As she turned the last corner onto the gravel road that led to Smooth Lake Inn, all the thoughts of work that had been clouding her brain as she eased through the Toronto traffic faded away. Instead, her heart fluttered with excitement at the thought of seeing her parents and nieces again. Sure, she wished the circumstances were different, but at least they could catch up in a way they hadn't had an opportunity to do since before Rachel died. It was completely her fault, she knew, but as the road wound toward her destination and sunlight shone down on her through the thick forest of maple, oak, and pine trees, that fact didn't matter. All that mattered was they were going to be together for two whole weeks, and she felt happier than she had in a long time. 

The gravel crunched under her tires as she pulled into the parking lot. The lake came into view, and she couldn't help but let out a sigh.  No matter how many times she saw it, she'd never get tired of the view. The sunlight on the water shimmered like strobe lights, almost too perfect to be real. A neat row of orange Adirondack chairs lined the grass along the water's edge—a perfect place for parents to relax and watch their kids swim. Right now, there was only one couple sitting in the chairs watching a pair of boys bounce on the bright yellow inflatable water trampoline creating ripples in the otherwise calm water. With each bounce, they soared higher and higher. Finally, they catapulted into the water with two nearly simultaneous splashes. The mother and father clapped and shouted out scores for their jumps, both perfect tens of course, and the boys cheered.  

So, this is what life is like for people who don't spend all their time working. 

Kayla's visits during her parents' first summer with the inn had been few and far between. And when she had managed to make it home, those memories had long ago blurred into a haze of grief-tinged moments she'd tried hard to forget. As a result, she really hadn't seen the inn's amenities in their full glory. She had to admit it looked like a picture-perfect vacation spot. It was hard to believe this place wasn't swarming with families. But it was still early in the season. Surely, once the kids got out of school, this place would be packed. 

Knowing her dad would try and talk her out of meddling, Kayla hadn't told her parents she was coming, so she had no idea what kind of reception she'd get. Her father had specifically asked her not to meddle, and yet here she was in full-on meddling mode. She took a deep breath before slamming the door behind her and then walked up the steps to her parents' front porch. Since it was their home as well as their business, the front of the main lodge was their private residence. It had a wide front porch with two wicker rocking chairs where her parents spent much of their downtime. The white planks on the porch squeaked as she approached the front door. She pressed the doorbell over which a neatly printed sign stated Smooth Lake Inn registrations around back with an arrow. 

When no one answered after a few minutes and repeated rings, Kayla followed the arrow and the natural stone path to the back of the building. A bell chimed as she opened the heavy wooden door. Kayla hadn't been in the main lodge since last summer, and she'd forgotten how charming it was. The first room she walked into was the lobby. The room itself was warm and comforting with several plump couches, stately wing chairs, a slate fireplace, and a huge driftwood chandelier dangling in the centre of the room. It was used as a gathering place for guests to sit and chat, play a game, or share a glass of wine. A half wall separated the reception desk from the lobby, and Kayla could see her mother's neat grey-haired head situated in front of the desk. She looked up at the sound of the chime and a wide smile spread across her face.