Chapter 14: Mew

Monday came like weekend didn't happen. I had been so busy getting my body in shape for practice later.

But first, Philosophy.

The class is now doing research about Logic, the study and practice of forms and methods of argumentation in ordinary and symbolic logic and critical reasoning, including analysis and assessments of arguments. This is actually my favorite lesson in Philosophy.

Everyone was reading peacefully when out of the blue one student said, "This play of words confuses me more than math. Can we just say a plant is a plant and a deer is an animal, why do I need to say a plant is not an animal and a deer is not a plant therefore a deer is an animal?"

This made me laugh. "Listen class, the goal of Philosophy is not to confuse us but instead find reasoning in things and understand reality. It is to understand fundamental questions about life, morality, virtue and human nature. I agree, it would have been easier if we can say what we mean directly with no hidden meaning, but that's not human nature." The class was silent...for a while. I see them wanting to argue more. "Right now, you are contemplating to reason with me, but something is stopping you. You're probably thinking and weighing things on your mind. That's human nature. If you really want to be direct to the point, by now, you should have spoken already." I hear murmurs. "Think about what I said and maybe next class you can share your thoughts. You're all dismissed. And aaah, Mr McQueen, please stay after class."

He approached me with a serious face.

"Is there something on your mind?"

"——— Nothing's on my mind professor."

"Good then, because if you have something to say or if you are pissed, just tell me directly."

"I am still weighing things in my head professor. You see, that's human nature."

Patience Mew, he is your student. Sighing,"Okay. I have prepared some notes for you to read to help you in this subject, you may get it in my office later after practice."

"Noted professor." Noted? What is this attitude? His behind strutted out of the room in slow motion, must be my mind playing tricks on me.

—————————

I was ready for practice. Went to the field just in time to see the team warming up. They saw me approaching and they stopped. Weird. "What's wrong?" I said when I was on earshot.

"Damn professor! You look hot in a jersey." That's one of my students brave enough to talk to me.

"Oh yeah? It's been a while really. Last I played was when I was in Paris. Where's Coach?"

"I'm here Mew. So the line up today is Mew and Gulf will be the captains of opposing teams. Gulf will play the offense first and Mew the defense, then vice versa. Mew's team will be the benchers. Listen, this practice is to assess where we need extra work on and also strengthen our best points. We have until Thursday, meaning 4 practices including today. We will not practice on Friday since that's the day before the game. This is do or die. Let's see where our limits can bring us."

Coach's tone was like we were going to battle and this is probably the first time he pushed them this far seeing the fearful expressions of the players looking at one another.

We did a 15 minute warm up, enough for me to know my team. After 15 minutes, I have a feeling that I will make all the efforts today.

45 minutes in the game, Gulf was fuming mad. I scored twice and his team was slacking. My team though was so happy they made sure all their efforts counted. Gulf looks like he'll punch me if I get too close. We still went on for another hour until I feel like I'll be sleeping for the next 2 days to recover. It was me who told the coach if we can already stop or he won't have a team to practice with tomorrow.

I went ahead of them after practice. I intentionally went first so the rest can discuss, and hopefully be challenged and do more somehow? I hope that's what's gonna happen. They need all the motivation they can get.

————————————

Shower in my office was an added bonus. I thank my mom for having this included when the building was built.

Knock. Knock.

McQueen is here. He opened the door without preamble. He was getting used to entering my office.

"What was that?" He threw his knapsack in the couch and continued to advance at me like a bull escaping its cage.

"Calm down McQueen."

"Calm down?! Calm down?!".

"That was me playing football. You should do the same."

He was trying his hard to suppress the need to thrash me. His hands were fisted and very likely to reach my face if I say something wrong. I didn't say anything.

He sat down on the couch. Then stood up. Then sat down again.

"Look. All I wanted was to prove to all of you that I can help. And for all of you to use me, my skills, so we can win the semis. I am at your disposal."

"If I wasn't this angry, I would have already added something obscene with your statement." He said.

"If that can make you relax, go ahead." I welcome it.

He was silently looking at me. He was breathing so hard. His stare is so intense. I am not sure what's on his mind.

I got the notes from my table and walked to the couch. "These are the notes I promised you. They should do until finals. They are my personal notes so tell me if my handwriting is not clear or if you need to discuss some principles with me."

I was on my way back to my table when he grabbed me by my shoulders and pinned me to the wall and kissed me.

I was so shocked that I opened my mouth. His tongue swooped in right away. He was hard, all over. My mind can't keep up. My heart was beating faster. I tried to clench my teeth but he won't let me. His hand was at the back of my head. I don't know where my hands are. I can't think. I feel heady, my defenses weakening. Then I was kissing back. His mouth, his tongue intoxicating. We're chasing each other's tongue now. I can't seem to get enough. My blood going south to that one part that makes me lose my mind.

"Mew....." That sound taking seconds to reach my ears. Gulf is groaning my first name. I woke up from my stupor. Fuck.

In an instant, I turned my face away, held his hand and pinned him to the wall with his back facing me. I locked his arms at his back to make sure he can't move. "What the fuck!!!!" I said panting.

He was panting too, his face sideways with his left cheek pinned to the wall. He was smirking. "So that's how to rattle you."

"You did that to rattle me? What is wrong with you?" I said furious.

"I've been seeing your unruffled face since this morning. It makes my blood boil." He said mocking me.

"Then punch me!!" I said.

"But this is more fun. This position is like deja vu. This is how we were in my dream." He is playing with me.

I let go right away as if burned. "Get the hell out of my office."

"Gladly." He got his knapsack and exited the door.