Chapter 35

Blair sat on the kitchen island, Alfred wrapping her bruised and previously bloodied hand, Bruce on her other side

Blair sat on the kitchen island, Alfred wrapping her bruised and previously bloodied hand, Bruce on her other side. She had come home, hoping that Jason had somehow made it back in the time it had taken for her to almost completely destroy her right hand and drive back. No such luck. When Alfred had come to the door to ask about her day, he didn't even have to ask before he took her into the kitchen, calling Bruce in for her to recount what had happened.

"Why didn't you tell me about Jason?" Blair winced as Alfred tightened the bandages on her hand. "You had to have known when you took him in."

"That wasn't my story to tell and you know that." Bruce sighed, leaning back against the kitchen counter across from her. "I'm surprised Jim didn't say anything that time he came for dinner."

Blair rolled her eyes, "Apparently he didn't feel the need to run a background check until this morning. I can assume you can guess why."

Alfred finished wrapping her hand, carefully setting it down in her lap, "There you are, Miss Blair. I highly advise against punching telephone poles again, understand?"

She nodded, sliding off the island, "I'm going to go find him."

Bruce stood up from the kitchen counter, ready to walk into the Batcave, "I can look at his tracker—"

"No, I know where he is." She waved him off, surprised at herself when she realized that she truly did know where Jason was. It was just a feeling in her gut.

Bruce raised his eyebrows, just as surprised as she was, "You know where Jason Todd is without looking at his tracker?"

"Yeah." She nodded, heading for the kitchen doors. "At least, I have an idea of where he'd be."

Alfred followed her through the house as she made it to the front door. She took Jason's jacket off the coat rack, remembering that he wasn't wearing one when he had left her alone on the sidewalk, before turning to face the older man. She was surprised to see that he held the jacket she had stolen from Jason in his hands, holding it out for her to put on. She shrugged it over her shoulders as he spoke softly, "I don't need to tell you that this is not your fault do I?"

"You say that, but my brain says different." Her brain said a lot different really. "I took him there, I knew something was up when Harvey treated him like he did, but I did nothing. There had to have been something I could've done."

Alfred gave her a sympathetic look, wishing that just once she wouldn't carry the weight of the world on her shoulders, "It would've come out eventually."

"And it should've been by Jason's own mouth, no one else's." She sighed, wishing she could just go back and hit rewind. "I didn't even dig into his past when he got here, and I didn't even want him around. I respected that his past was his business, not mine."