Chapter 15 - Tea Party

It really was a good day to have tea under the bright blue sky. The weather was not so hot nor too cloudy. It was just right. The three of them managed to finally settle on their respective seats. The children lied on the smooth carpet placed beforehand by Sandhya to allow them to roll around and play. Although, the mothers did not last long on the table before they too joined the little ones on the carpet. The cakes and pastries also followed suit placed somewhere far from the children but still within reach of the ladies.

Peter being a newborn was not placed on the carpet but instead in a rattan basket placed next to Ophelia so that when Peter made one of his faces she will be able to see it immediately. Elena and Ammie's babies were slightly older than Peter by a few months. They were in a period where everything they see and hear is a delight and something to grab.

Lee, Elena's son, was a shy baby. He had not left his mother's side at first but when they began to chat and laugh. He had grown a little bit braver to crawl a few feet away from her towards a toy that fascinated him.

The opposite could be said about Kai, Ammie's baby. He was so active and friendly that he wasn't able to settle for even a while. He kept on crawling and crawling around the rug that just by watching over him was tiring. He did manage to settle and play together with Lee after watching him play.

"How are you doing, Phee? It's been a total of 2 months now since you've given birth, right?" ask Ammie.

"I'm doing fine actually. There's not much I need to do as the Empress and Peter is quite easy to take care of. Although, the lack of crying is still something to be worried about, but, maybe it's a good thing, isn't it?"

"What do you mean there's nothing much to do? I mean surely being an Empress has its duties. Don't tell me you've been doing absolutely nothing this whole time?", Elena grabbed her second cupcake today ever since she settled down.

Ophelia looked down at her hands ashamed that she too was aware of her duties but it wasn't her fault that her life was full of leisure after giving birth. Isn't that what most people would want? A life where one could relax every day?

"Wait! Shut up! Are you seriously telling me that ever since you gave birth the duties you did after your marriage is taken away from you?" Ammie, of course, the wise and all-seeing eyes knew what was happening.

"Shh! Can you please lower your voice? Need I remind you that we are not alone?" Ophelia's eyes gaze around at the servants that were attending to them. They are all professional enough to keep their heads down and only answer when they were called to. It is still important to be cautious at all time. Especially when one is inside the palace where walls have eyes and ears.

"The Emperor favour me so much that he thought as the first prince's mother I should have a long rest before continuing my duties." Whatever her duties are since the memories after her marriage seemed to be completely wiped out from her brain. "I'll be back behind my desk before you know it."

Both Elena and Ammie had to look at one another before deciding it was the truth and there was nothing for them to be worried about. Elena continues to eat her cupcake. Ophelia who notice from a glance that Peter was wide eyes and looking straight at her with a blank look on his face.

Ophelia learns that whenever he made that face it was his way to get someone's attention. There was nothing much she could do to entertain him since his usual sucker and teddy bear was placed within his reach unattended. Ophelia just places her hand on him easily covering most part of him. He was quick to be mesmerized by her long fingers and it took him both of his tiny hands to grasp her hand to look at it. It took him 10 seconds before deciding to test whether her fingers were something that he could eat.

His lack of teeth made it hurtless for her. She could feel the few licks he made with his small tongue and the way his gums bite down her finger. She reflectively curls her finger and that somehow made him more eager.

"Glory to the land of Ethyrion."

It was distant but the sound of a salute manage to make it into her ears. Ophelia was starting to sweat. She knew there were only two people in the whole continent who could make anyone stop from what they were doing and bow down to salute. There was her and then there was the Emperor.