Rini Sickfic: Just Like Old Times🤧

Author's Note: I can't focus and I need to do Shakespeare homework. Wrote this one last night. I hope people like it #Rini4ever. College is so hard.

Miss Jenn told Ricky and I to find a quiet place to rehearse the rooftop scene, Ricky and I were walking around the old theater looking for a free, non-creepy room. I was leading the way because I didn't want to look at Ricky for specific reasons. I heard Ricky sniffling behind me and I couldn't help but ask if he was okay.

"I'm fine. Just some allergies, it must be the dust in this old theatre." Ricky said half smiling.

I shrugged it off and continued to walk down the ominous, dusty hallway. We finally found a room with a piano and started rehearsing.

"Remember in kindergarten, when you'd meet a kid and you'd know nothing about them, then ten seconds later you were best friends?"

"Yeah." Ricky said and then coughed into his sweatshirt.

"Singing with you felt like that" I looked up at Ricky a bit more concerned this time.

"I never thought about singing that's for sure. Until you, and I don't want to stop. Ever."

"You know what, I know these lines, can we just not use the scripts?" he said and then he sneezed. It was quite adorable. I can't say that we aren't dating anymore. He hurt me.

After rehearsing our lines with and without the scripts, we started to talk about the good old times, kindergarten. The year we met. It was nice to have a conversation with Ricky that wasn't about EJ or some stupid voicemail message. Just us, like it used to be. We reminisced about all the times that Ricky had messed up in our friendship.

"...And I couldn't even say "I love you" when you wrote me that song." He sneezed again, which caused us to have an awkward silence.

I accidentally hit a few keys on the piano behind me, which scared me to death.

"Um... Maybe... we should warm up our voices"

"Ah yes. That's a good idea. Smart yeah um sure." Ricky said, but his voice was hoarser and more abnormal."

"Ricky are you sure you're not sick? You need to save your voice for opening night."

"Yeah I'm fine." He smiled and sat next to me.

I started to warm up my voice, "me, me, me, me, me"

"You, you, you, you, you" Ricky sang as he stared at me.

"me, me, me, me, me" I stared back at him. It was as if things were back to normal, before I wrote that stupid song declaring my love to him.

"Nini, nini, nini, nini, ni..." He kept mouthing words, but nothing came out. I could tell that he was upset, frustrated, and nervous because he always tried to impress me.

I pulled my hot pink water bottle out of my backpack and handed it to him.

"Here. You can have my water. I haven't touched it all day. Don't try to talk or sing. Ricky you are sick you need to go home and be on vocal rest. You probably have a cold. It's getting chilly in Utah. You need to wear more than just a hoodie and vans. Let me go tell Miss Jenn." I said while getting up and heading for the door.

Before I could reach the door, I felt someone tug on my hand. The only person in the room was Ricky. I couldn't fall in love with him again he hurt me. I need to get over him. He's my friend though, and he plays my soulmate in the play. So, I decided to turn around and see what was up?

"Ricky don't try to speak. Your throat needs to heal, and you definitely need some cold medicine and tissues."

He pulled me closer to him we were almost an inch apart. I thought that he was going to kiss me. It was a moment in love. It was just us. Instead, he leaned his head on my shoulder and hugged my tightly. I heard a quiet sob come from him, but I just kept on hugging him.

"Ricky, something's up. It's more than just a cold. Here write it down. Then you don't have to talk. We used to tell each other everything." I said while letting go of his hug and wiping one of his tears.

He started writing in my pink notebook with my sparkly song-writing pen. It was quite funny, but I didn't laugh because this was a serious moment. He sat on the piano bench writing and looking down. I could tell that he was upset and embarrassed. Ricky hardly ever cried in front of anyone, even me. I mean yeah there was that one time where he almost slept over at my house without me knowing but I knew he needed somewhere to go.

Ricky finished writing and handed me my pen and notebook. I sat next to him and put my arms around him. I know we aren't dating or anything, but I still cared about him. I silently read his note in my head.

I miss my mom. My dad's a mess. He sleeps in and misses work almost every week. I miss the way things used to be. I am so scared. My mom seems happy with new boyfriend and she hasn't even called in two weeks. I've been going to the skate park every night after they filed the divorce. I need my mom, Nini. I slept over at Big Red's a few nights this week and couldn't sleep. You have two moms. You are so lucky. She used to cook every meal for me, help me layout my outfits for each season and talk to me about personal things. Home isn't the same. Can I stay at your place tonight?

"Oh Ricky. I didn't know that this was going on at home. You should've told someone. You need to wear a winter coat too. Let me text my moms, I'm sure they'd be happy to have you over." I said while holding his hand and texting Momma C with the other.

"Hey guys, we're ordering pizza. Do you prefer cheese or pepperoni?" Big Red said while popping his head from the door.

"Oh. Did I ruin the moment? I can leave if you want." He said awkwardly.

"Actually, Ricky isn't feeling well. He lost his voice a few minutes ago. I think he has a cold. I'm gonna drive him home and get him some medicine. Will you tell Miss Jenn that we're leaving?"

"Yeah...uh sure guys. I actually drove Ricky to the El Ray. Do you want to get a uber or borrow my car?"

"I'll just call an uber thanes for the offer Big Red." Big Red Left while shutting the door. Ricky looked as red as a tomato. He was probably embarrassed because he couldn't speak up for himself.

In the uber, on our way back to my house, the driver started talking to us and since Ricky couldn't talk. I decided to talk.

"So, were you two just on a date? You look like the perfect couple."

"Oh umm... we aren't dating. We are just friends. We were at rehearsal for our school musical." I said nervously.

"Oh. Well you'd make a cute couple." Ricky looked at me nervously. I mouthed to him "Don't talk. Save your voice."

At Nini's House:

I told Ricky that he could go freshen up in our guest bathroom, while I got him some pillows, sheets and pajamas. I still had one of his oversized hoodies from when he used to sleepover and a pair of sweats that he forgot at my house one time. I also grabbed two pillows and a blanket from the closet.

"Here. You can change into these. You left them here a while ago and I never had the chance to return them. I'll make you a makeshift bed on the couch." I said while handing Ricky the clothes. He mouthed a small 'thanks' and the gently hugged me. I was surprised by his actions but embraced him in a hug too.

While Ricky was changing in the guest bathroom, I decided to make his favorite jasmine tea with one lemon and a packet of equal. I made myself a cup of tea too. When I arrived back into the living room, Ricky was sitting on the couch staring into space.

"I made you your favorite tea. It will make you feel better. You can use the tissues that are on the table. We should watch Disney movies like when we were younger."

Ricky nodded his head and smiled while blowing at his tea to cool it down. I turned the TV on and decided to play our favorite movie: Tangled. It was like our sleepovers from elementary school. It was just like it was before that stupid song I posted online.