Chapter 19: Gulf

"Guys this is the last practice. I know we already prepared our gameplan, but last night I made some minor changes. Let's see if they work." They were nodding their heads in unison. They already came to trust me.

After some more instructions from coach, they dispersed to continue their warm up, leaving me, coach and the professor.

"Professor, if you can be extra hard on us today, I'd really appreciate it." I said then turned my back on them.

"Sure Gulf, I can do that." I stopped on my tracks. That was the first time he called me by my first name. I closed my eyes. Don't crossover the imaginary line Gulf, it's just a name, let's not get ahead of ourselves, just continue walking.

---------------

The practice was intense. It lasted for 3 hours, after which I chose to stay behind again. I practiced for another hour.

"Gulf." Is that Professor Bennett calling me? I stopped and looked around. It was kind of dark so it was hard to see.

"Time to go home." He was approaching me.

"Shit Jag, you scared me."

"It's 10, aren't you tired?"

"10 more minutes then we'll go."

" Something wrong Gulf? Something's changed, you seem focused on something."

"I am focused on winning the game."

"You think you can win?"

"Yes." I smiled, cause for the first time, I am actually confident that we have a chance.

"Ohhhh, well then, if you win, drinks on me after."

"Sure Jag, you can bring that girl too, the one from your department. What's her name again? Jia? You can bring her too."

"Oooooh, now this is new. Just last week you got drunk because of ---------"

"Shut up!"

"Haha!"

"Yeah, I just realized I'm not ready for that kind of shit."

"So naturally you go back to what's familiar. Hmmmm. I can dig that. Reasonable enough. Less complicated. Less stressful."

---------------

Friday came quickly. We just did some research in Philo. Professor Bennett wasn't there because of some important function outside the school. The other 4 classes were all my major subjects and not really hard for me. This is the perfect day to relax. I slept very early and got up early the next day too.

I'm ready for the game.

-----------------

Prive College, our school, sponsored this one game so it will be played here. I saw the bleechers starting to fill-up an hour before the game. We were huddled in the gym locker room tensed but at the same time excited. Jag was there too tenser than we were. I don't see professor though.

"Jag, if you can't fix your face and act more confident  in us, get out of here."

"Yes, yes, right. Ummm, I'll stay here though. I'm your best friend, remember?"

"Then the least you can do is give me some ego boost. I need it."

"Gulf, you can't lose. Besides, more girls will like you if you win."

"He doesn't need more girls, a lot's been surrounding him even when he loses." That was Goaly.

"Yeah, I know, but the more girls for you, the more girls I have to console."

"Just as I thought, you have your own agenda. Get out now, coach will have a small meeting. Ummm and Jag, I haven't seen the professor, have you seen him?"

Jag looked at me suspiciously, "concentrate on the game Gulf."

"Team, we're starting in a few. Let's huddle first. This is the do or die game we have been preparing for a week. I know that's not enough time for us to practice but I've seen you work your ass off and I can honestly say that we have a chance at winning this. So let's let them know that we can, an underdog team can win. We have the element of surprise at our advantage, let's use it well. Understand team?"

"Yes coach! Go lions!" By the way, Lions is our team.

Thirty minutes was given for warm ups then the game commenced. The first half was an hour of intense running, kicking, body contact, getting tackled, getting bruised, being bumped into someone else, getting shouted, shouting and even being elbowed and NO SCORE. During the break, we went back to our lockers all looking frustrated.

"Guys, it was a good first half." We all looked at coach. " They haven't scored too. Both our offense and defense are good. Let's continue it. We practiced so hard this week. Your stamina can take the other second half. It's them that looks tired. Let's continue the fast paced game and proceed with the game plan. And Gulf." I was listening intensely,"work double, you are really doing well, they can't keep up."

"Yes coach."

"Now all of us go back and don't let them intimidate you."

In unison, "yes coach!"

A minute left of the game, the opponent looked tired and we were still moving as fast, no team scored yet. This is the longest one minute of my life.  We are initiating a counter attack, our last gameplan, trying to draw the opposition to our half. Once this happened, I took the ball and triggered a high speed counter. This is the fastest I have run in my entire life. Then I kicked the ball to the basket just before the bell rang.

I. SCORED. I. FUCKING. SCORED.

It was so surreal. I was engulfed with bodies hugging me. Cheers were everywhere. I tried to look at the other team. They were shocked. Yup. I understand how that feels. I was too. They have clearly underestimated us and weren't as prepared.

EUPHORIC. That's the best I can describe my feelings.