xxii. BACK FROM THE DEAD

BACK FROM THE DEAD! ( the mind flayer part 4 )

BACK FROM THE DEAD!
( the mind flayer part 4 )

Ben let out a deep sigh before opening the door and exiting Jonathan's bedroom, quietly making his way down the hallway toward the bathroom. Ben stopped in his tracks once he saw Max and Lucas sitting opposite of each other against the walls, the two looked up at the sudden presence beside them.

Max's eyes widened as she scrambled up, rushing over to Ben and pulling him roughly in for a hug. He didn't hug back, but she understood that. The redhead pulled back and took in his appearance. His eyes were puffy and bloodshot, his hair was disheveled and messy, and his jaw was clenched tightly. He didn't look like Ben.

Ben said nothing, only nodded at her, a way of showing that he acknowledged and appreciated her presence. A sudden door slamming open and footsteps rushing inside caused Max and Lucas to rush to the kitchen. Ben went to the bathroom, taking in his own appearance once he saw himself in the mirror. He tried to feel something; anything. Tried to make himself cry. Nothing.

Ben shook his head and closed his eyes, but once he did, he saw it again. Blood. Claws digging into flesh. Heard the screams. The life leaving his father's eyes. Ben quickly opened his eyes, slightly but not-quite-so shocked once he saw he was crying. He thought he'd run out of tears. He hated this. He hated everything in that moment. He wanted so desperately to get rid of the aching, hollow feeling in his chest. He felt as though his heart had been ripped out of his chest and stomped on repeatedly. He wished it was him that died instead.

Ben turned on the faucet and splashed some water in his face and used the hand towel to dry it before he left the bathroom.

In the kitchen, everyone was gathered around the table as Hopper finished explaining to the group that Will was using morse code to communicate with them, and that he was still there. "Will's still in there. He's talking to us." Hopper said, everyone felt relieved at that. Ben stepped forward from where he was leaning against the hallway wall, a floorboard creaking under his foot.

All heads turned to Ben once he entered the kitchen, but he made eye contact with no one, eyes cast down to the floor. Ben then stumbled back as a tall body had slammed into him and grabbed him tight, he knew it was Dylan.

"I'm so glad you're okay. God, you worried me." Dylan mumbled into the boy's shoulder. Ben's arms hung loosely by his sides as his eyes found Steve over her shoulder, he was watching Dylan with a soft twinkle in his eyes that Ben noticed instantly, but didn't care to comment on or think about any longer.

Ben felt a specific pair of dark eyes boring into his soul, but he didn't look in that direction. After a while, Ben tapped Dylan's side and she let go of him. She knew how he was when handling loss, he shuts down completely and usually shuts everyone out for a while. This loss was the worst one Ben has ever had to endure, and Dylan wasn't sure if Ben could even handle it at all.