X

Warning! Mention of abuse and bullying

---

Myra still felt the guilt gnawing at her. It tore at her stomach and made her want to puke. She didn't want to say no. It was unbelievable how much she wanted to say yes. But her Hogsmeade permission slip was still unsigned. No matter what, Dumbledore had to make sure every parent had given consent. Just to be on the safe side.

∞-∞-∞

She had tried convincing Dumbledore to let her go, back at the beginning of third year. She remembered asking Professor McGonagall for the password to Dumbledore's office. She had gone up, clutching her permission slip to her robes. She remembered that she could barely feel her feet as she climbed up the stairs behind the stone gargoyle.

Myra had knocked timidly on the large wooden door of Dumbledore's office.

"Come in." She heard Dumbledore say, his voice slightly muffled through the thick door. Myra pushed open the door and stuck her head inside.

"Ah, Miss Lestrange," Dumbledore had put down his large quill and looked at Myra through his half-moon spectacles, the familiar twinkle in his eye, "Do come in. To what do I owe this special visit?"

Myra had carefully stepped inside and quickly closed the door behind her, years of living with her parents drilled into her. She turned around and stared at the office, transfixed. It was a large and beautiful circular room, full of funny little noises. All sorts of curious silver instruments stood on spindle-legged tables, whirring and emitting little puffs of smoke. The walls were covered with portraits of old headmasters and headmistresses, all of whom were watching Myra scrutinizingly in their frames. There was also an enormous, claw-footed desk, and, sitting on a shelf behind it, a shabby, tainted wizard's hat

She returned her focus to the old wizard sitting at the desk.

"Well, Headmaster," She fumbled with the permission slip, holding it out to Dumbledore, "I-I was wondering if maybe you could maybe let me go to Hogsmeade?" She asked softly. Dumbledore had gently taken the slip from her hand, glanced at the piece of parchment before peering back at her.

"Have your parents signed the permission slip?" He asked serenely. Myra shook her head.

"No, but I was hoping-"

"Miss Lestrange, I cannot allow a student to go to Hogsmeade without having a permission slip signed by the parents or guardians."

"I know, Headmaster. But my parents were busy this summer and they didn't have time to sign it."

"And may I ask what your parents were doing?" He had asked, taking off his spectacles. Myra blinked.

Strapped to the metal table.

Thrown to the hard ground.

Knives in her skin.

Anger.

Hunger.

Thirst.

Screams.

Pain.

"They had Ministry work to do, Headmaster." Dumbledore had sighed and put his spectacles back on, going back to his paperwork.