xxv. BOYS BREAK HEARTS

BOYS BREAK HEARTS!( the gate part 3 )

BOYS BREAK HEARTS!
( the gate part 3 )

        "Stay still," Dylan murmured as she continued to try and fix Ben's disaster that he called hair. Ben fidgeted impatiently, desperate to get out of Dylan's grip and leave. He didn't necessarily want to go to Snowball, but Max had begged him to go since she had to go, and he reluctantly gave in. Ben didn't want to go. He didn't want to see Mike Wheeler.

        After everything happened the month before, Mike had slowly started avoiding Ben and straying away from him. It pissed Ben off, mainly because he had no idea what he had done wrong, and because Mike meant a lot to him. Especially after his father died. He needed Mike, and he wasn't there. Ben tried to ignore how badly it hurt. He felt betrayed and used, like what he and Mike had didn't mean anything at all to Mike. It meant so much to Ben, and it hurt to know that Mike didn't feel the same.

        Ben blinked back into reality when Dylan tilted his head again. He rolled his eyes, "My hair is fine, Dyl. We're gonna be late to this stupid dance if you don't stop," he whined. Dylan glared at him, moved a few strands of his hair again just to annoy him, and then smacked him lightly upside the head. Ben let out an exaggerated ow! causing Dylan to let out a laugh. Ben glared and rubbed the side of his head.

        He had to admit, staying with Dylan was annoying as shit. Sure, she was his best friend, but she tended to act more like his sister than his friend. She often babied him, which drove him up a wall. Her siblings all managed to irk him, but he got along with the oldest sister, Penelope, the most. Ben had been staying at the Mckeen's for the past month, only until things got arranged. Apparently he had no other family willing to take him in, which Ben was mildly relieved about. He did not want to have to move away to live with someone he didn't know.

        Hopper had said that he would let Ben stay with him after he was with Dylan for awhile. He wanted the boy to be with an actual adult, and there were no actual adults at the Mckeen house. The oldest sister took care of everyone, and she's barely twenty years old. Ben didn't mind having to stay with Hopper. Though he loved Dylan more than anything, Hopper was right, he needed an actual adult to look after him, and he and Hopper tended to get along quite well.

Dylan patted Ben's shoulder, "Okay, you look decent. Let's go."

The boy scoffed, "Decent? You look decent. I look outstanding," his lips pulled up into a teasing smile, his comment earned him a light shove. Dylan mumbled a whatever before running outside. Penelope came from the kitchen and smiled at Ben, adjusting his tie, "You look handsome. You ready to knock 'em dead?"

"Of course, Pen," he smiled, "I'm gonna miss you, you know," he then said, feeling a little glum. Penelope brought the boy in for a hug, resting her chin on top of his head, "You can always come over. You know that this house is yours as much as it is ours. I'll miss seeing you everyday, but it's for the best," she reassured, pulling away to offer the boy a kind, warm smile.