Chapter 3: Out of reality

I approached quickly and leaned against the frame. The window overlooked a garden with a fence several feet away from the hospital. It was so easy to escape from here, it was not a jail or a mental hospital after all, and the poor young man must have been desperate to go looking for his family. They should have let him go instead of imprisoned him with the silly suspicion that he could be one of those monsters...

"Hi..."

I let out a short scream and jumped in fright. I turned right away and ran into those intriguing eyes and a funny smile; he started laughing. Wow, I was still amazed. What a beautiful and elegant laugh.

"Sorry, I scared you," he said.

"No, no... Well, a little. I thought you... Where have you been?"

"Behind you, waiting to see what you will do." He shrugged, smiled, and raised an eyebrow. "Did you want to escape?"

"Of course not."

"Are you sure? You almost jumped outside."

I laughed and closed the window—what a shame. A strange sensation made me react. He was right behind me and had gently taken a lock of my hair.

"It smells good," he commented naturally as his eyes met mine in the reflection of the glass.

This young man made me nervous in a good way. I turned to face him and smiled kindly.

"Thank you; my perfume got spilled on my hairbrush." He smiled, making me more nervous suddenly. "Oh, I came to tell you that you can go to eat something in the dining room..." I frowned. "Well, of course, it is the dining room and not the lab," I murmured, shaking my head at my awkwardness when speaking.

"I'm not hungry, but I can accompany you if you haven't had dinner yet."

"Won't you eat anything?"

He approached his desk and grabbed a bottle, making me smile.

"I took this," he said, showing it to me.

"You really liked milk," I commented, intrigued. What kind of person didn't remember trying it in his life? "Come on, follow me."

We left his room and headed to the cafeteria. I knew he couldn't be satisfied with just milk.

"Oh, there wasn't all this food when I came earlier," he murmured when we got there.

"I thought you weren't hungry," I said, smiling.

"Well, I had decided to ignore it."

I chuckled.

"Serve what you like, I already ate, but I'll accompany you."

He got bread pudding, ham and cheese sandwiches, fruit salad, waffles, and oatmeal. I was already craving it.

"You were hungry," I commented to myself, looking at his tray once we sat down.

He smiled with a guilty grimace, and a thought crossed my mind. Maybe he had just been avoiding us, that was why he didn't show up around here, and worst, perhaps he was uncomfortable with me also, and obviously, he wasn't going to tell me.

"You know? When I entered your room, I thought you had run away."

He let out a short laugh.

"Now I understand why you almost throw yourself outside." And then, he arched an eyebrow. "Were you going to chase me?"

"No, of course not. I would agree with your escape."

Anthony looked at me for a few seconds with some surprise. He was handsome and kind of different, so I understood why Rosy was interested in him. His gaze caught me; it was penetrating but pure and crystalline; it didn't seem to hide malice or evil intentions. I was overwhelmed. That hair and those dark eyebrows made the beautiful color of his eyes stand out. I wondered briefly if his parents were looking for him, or maybe... a girlfriend.