Disability not Definition

Requested by SilentCookie:

Anyway, I know most of the fics in this series of yours are Peter-centric, but I wanted to ask if maybe you would be up to something Clint-centric?

I would love to read something about Deaf!Clint. Something along the lines that his deafness wasn't really common knowledge (for the public, the Avengers know about this), because he has special combi comm/hearing aids he's wearing outside on missions or something, but somehow it got out and there are just some (not everyone, but people like that are always the loudest) really nasty reporters/interviewers/journalists/people who are ableists and talking bullsh*t about how someone like him can't be a real superhero and he wouldn't deserve being an Avenger, that as a "damaged" human with a bow he wouldn't deserve to stand beside enhanced humans (like Steve, Bucky, Peter and kind of Bruce and Natasha) and geniuses, people in armour stronger than a tank etc. And most of the time Clint is good about ignoring this kind of things but he had a bad day or something... Anyway, the point is: insecure!Clint (about his deafness), protective!Avengers (roasting the assholes who said that) and comforting!Avengers (towards Clint, lots of fluff)!

"Getting advice from your friends?" The villain's tone was mocking as he reached for Clint's communicators. "Well that just won't do. You 'superheroes'-"

The man threw the devices to the floor and crushed them with the heal of his boot. Clint resisted the urge to sigh - Tony was definitely going to give him shit about losing two pairs in one week. He shimmed to release some of the pressure the restraints had on his wrists, but it wasn't an escape attempt. He'd already noticed the flash of red hair behind the villain - now it was just time to wait.

At least he didn't have to listen to another monologue. They were always so whiny. And so pathetic.Why were so many people obsessed with Tony? It really killed Clint's whole superhero action vibe when some dumbass won't shut up about some minor snub Tony made like twenty years ago. Even if the mask wasn't covering the villain's mouth, Clint wouldn't have tried to read his lips.

He bit back a smile as he saw Natasha saunter up behind the man and swiftly knock him unconscious. She efficiently cut off the metal cuffs, allowing him to sign with her.

"You're really going to make me save your ass again?" She smirked at him, humor in her eyes.

He shrugged, "didn't want to break my nails picking the lock."

She rolled her eyes and they both headed out of the warehouse toward the pick-up spot.

Tony joked about how nice it was to reunite with old friends and Steve filled out an initial assessment on his tablet with a serious look on his face. Clint rifled through the bins for his spare pair of hearing aids. Damn, it was three pairs this week - he really was in for it.

When he glanced up, Tony was looking expectantly his way. Steve tore his eyes away from his paperwork and immediately saw the issue. He informed Tony that Clint didn't have his communicators and Tony repeated his question. This time making sure Clint was able to read his lips. He also signaled to Jarvis to show Clint a written transcript of anything his teammates said in the jet if he wanted. Natasha and Bucky, who was still unfit for missions, were the only ones who were fluent in sign language. Steve knew some dated ASL due to his hearing impairment in the forties, and he was rapidly picking up on the differences. Bruce and Tony were more likely to use other methods of communication, some, especially Tony's, got creative.

"We're going outside to clean up all that green shit his bots spewed everywhere. Joining us?"

Clint followed with a spring in his step. Bruce had allowed him to borrow the chemistry lab for a few days and he had engineered soap bombs that would blow all the garbage right off the sidewalk. Natasha noticed, and once again, rolled her eyes with a smile. He winked and grabbed a bag from the back of the jet.