Chapter 20: Mew

He made it. He fucking made it. And I wasn't there cheering for him.

I was at my uncle's since yesterday, negotiating to fucking drop the conditions he set. He didn't budge, not one bit. As I was driving back to my place. I contemplated about how I really feel about Gulf. I unconciously clenched the steering wheel harder. I wanted to talk to him in the field the last night of practice, but his friend Jag beat me to it. I didn't mean to eavesdrop either but still I heard their conversation. I should really just leave him be. It's not even a month when I met him, it's what, like two weeks? I shouldn't really be affected. I didn't plan to be affected. Nothing too deep here, just some guys having sexual reactions with each other. It's just a phase. I bet everyone goes through this. Whatever I felt was probably just a fluke.

My phone's ringing, switching the speaker on, "Congratulations coach!"

"Where are you Mew? You should have seen the team." His background is so loud I can barely hear him.

"I'm on my way back to my place."

"Go directly to District Bar, the team is all here celebrating."

"Haha. I'll pass coach. I still have some things I need to do tonight."

"Oh come on! You're part of the team too, besides there are girls here too. Hik hik."

"Haha! I'll think about it. Anyway, it's just in front of the school. I have time to decide. Enjoy coach." What decide? It's just drinking, it's not rocket science. Don't overthink Mew. It's just drinks with a bunch of guys you became close with.

-----------

So I came, still in my suit. My plan is just to have a bottle or two then go. The place is jampacked, a lot of students celebrating the win. When they saw me though, everyone quieted. Must be the suit, I look so out of place.

"Here, Mew." I saw the coach waving at me. I approached him. The whole team and some girls were at the table.

"We were expecting you in the game."
"Hi professor!"
"Where were you professor? "
"We won professor. Let's declare Monday a holiday."

Everyone was talking at once. I was scanning the table making sure I congratulated everyone. Gulf was at the opposite end, eight chairs away from me. He was silent, just looking at me with some girl whose hands are looped around his neck. I honestly don't know what to feel about this. I avoided eye contact. I don't want to linger nor want to think about why my heart feels like being pricked by small needles.

"Drink professor." One of the players placed a beer in front of me.

"Kampai team! Thank you for your dedication." That was coach standing up so we can put our drinks together before drinking. Judging by the looks of it, it seems that the drinking session started early and most of these guys are already drunk.

After cheers, Gulf stood up. "Guys I need to go. I still have to take care of Jia."

"Woohoo! Looks like McQueen is getting it on tonight."
"Go man! Be merry, hope you get lots of love tonight. Hahaha."

Yup. Yup. Let him be Mew. You can't do anything about it. Just be happy they won.

He waved at everyone including me, bowing his head a bit. I did the same. See you can be rational Mew. It wasn't that hard.

"I am so sure he is getting one tonight. You know how he is when he's drunk." That was Jag, fucking reminding me of the last time Gulf was drunk.

"Jia looks so hot bro. I'm jealous of McQueen right now."
"That girl is so lucky though. McQueen is a catch. If I am a girl, I wouldn't say no to him."
"I am a guy and I wouldn't say no to him. Haha."

All this talk about Gulf is making me crazy, can they just shut up and talk about the game.

"McQueen was so intense this morning. I have never seen him move so fast and so sure, every move was calculated-----"

"That's it!" Everyone was looking at me. Shit I said it out loud. "Sorry guys, my suit is making me so uncomftable. I'll go ahead. Don't worry about paying. It's on my tab."

I went like a flash. Not on my right mind, I went straight to Gulf's dorm.