Chapter 1

Y/N sighed as she watched the clouds drift by. It was so peaceful out here, with the green grass neatly cut and the trees swaying in the wind. She could stay where she was all day and-

"BREAK'S OVER, BE INSIDE WORKING IN TEN SECONDS OR YOU CAN GO HOME."

Well, she could've stayed all day. If she had been able to stretch time so that her five-minute break would last forever.

Instead she hopped to her feet and sprinted, because as much as she hated her boss's dictatorship, he did offer the best paycheck of anyone in town. She'd been lucky to get the job.

She worked with another girl and a guy in a local cafe. The "Pasticcerio Posto" was probably the most popular place for anything in the seaside town, with a unobstructed view of the beach and docks for sail and motorboats alike visible in easy walking distance in most directions. 

She found herself reflecting that though it's name, meaning "Pastry Place" was Italian, it's cuisine was hardly limited to either pastries or Italian food as she carried out a tray of crisply fried fish and chips. Instead, it catered to a very broad variety of people and preferences with everything from the traditional beach restaurant surf-n-turf dinner to hearty German stews as well as those zesty Italian dishes.

"Y/N!"

At the sound of her name, she turned to see one of her favorite (and least favorite) regular customers.

She walked quickly to their table with a bright smile. "Hello RJ, Emily, what can I get for you tonight?"

The soulmates smiled and Emily spoke for them, as usual.

"We'll try the surf-n-turf dinner please!"

"Absolutely!" Y/N nodded and jotted down the order. "Drinks?"

"The usual." Emily glanced at RJ, not for confirmation, but because he had affectionately squeezed her hand. Y/N saw her squeeze back, and the pair smiled still more brightly.

"Alright, that's a surf-n-turf dinner for two and a water with no ice and extra lemon and a sweet tea, will that be all for now?" Y/n didn't have to check her notes, but she did.

"I think so, yes!" Emily briefly returned her attention to their waitress, still smiling.

"Alright, I'll be right back with your drinks then!" Y/N smiled and hurried off, and extra quickness in her step.

It wasn't that she disliked RJ and Emily. The couple was absolutely adorable, and they tipped very nice amounts. The soulmates had recently eloped and were enjoying a brief honeymoon before they moved in together to begin their married life.

It was just that... They were soulmates. And career focused at the moment or not, Y/N couldn't help a twinge of envy whenever she saw happy soulmates forging through life together. Side by side with the person they loved and who was destined to love them, they were forging their path.

Something about that missing person from her life stung, no matter how hard she tried to be happy for those who had found their one and only.

Lifting her chin, she smiled and took the couple their drinks. They were lovely people, and she would NOT be the one to put a damper on their happy honeymoon.

...

...

...

Y/N flopped across her bed, exhausted. Another long day, finally ending.