Chapter 26

Krey lingered in the shower. so the cold water streamed over him. Every time he thought about Pip's lips and his large blue eyes, he dipped his head under the water.

Taking things slow was hard for a werewolf. Krey's instincts were to mate. Pip's instincts were not the same. Krey respected Pip enough to move with him, not drag him along.

Still, Krey was hot in his cold shower, and now had memories of kissing his mate, not just fantasies. He could still feel the way Pip's lips moved with his, and the taste, and the heat of his breath.

Krey shuddered and dunked his head back under the water.

He soon left the shower when he was satisfied that Pip's scent wasn't on him. He had been careless about mixing scents, and Francis had to tackle him in their wolf forms to mix her scent too, so Pip's wasn't so obvious.

Krey began to understand why his mother was so adamant that Francis was his mate.

He reached for a towel and slipped on some black cotton pyjama bottoms, just as his phone made a noise from the bedroom. Krey never had his phone on loud, though he hoped to have a text from Pip before the night was over.

Krey stepped from the cold tiles to the cold wood of his bedroom floor and shut the bathroom door behind him. He only noticed his mother when she spoke.

"Who's Pip?" Makena asked, leaning over Krey's phone that he had thrown on the bed before his shower.

"What?" Krey's body tensed, and the blood drained from his face.

"Is there a Pip in the institute? I've never heard that name before."

"It's uh... a nickname," Krey said, rubbing his black hair with a towel. The short back and sides had started to dry, but the black mop on top stuck in all different directions. Krey turned back to the mirror, staring at the grey patch of hair at the front of his head.

Krey was about three years old when a small tuft of his hair turned grey among the black, just like his mothers.

"For who? Francis?" Makena asked.

Krey glared at himself in the mirror. He looked terrifying with thick black brows pressing into his already dark eyes. Krey approved. "Why are you here?"

"Just to remind you about the annual gathering. It's a week late because of your bloody uncle."

"What's he done now?" Krey grumbled. All he could think about was the text from Pip. He didn't want to open the message with his mother watching his every move.

"He doesn't approve of your cousin's mate. Do you remember me mentioning that your cousin Victoria had the dream last week? Well, her mate turned out to be human. Her father's furious."

Krey turned towards his mother, resting against the headboard of his double bed. Her long grey hair was in a large French plait, though the tip still hung by her waist as the plait curled over her shoulder. She was also in her pyjamas, black like Krey's.

"Why?" Krey asked.

"Exactly my response," Makena said, throwing her hands up in the air. "It's not like the poor girl had a choice."

Krey narrowed his eyes. Would she approve of Pip, then?

"Also," Makena continued, "it's not like she'll be the Alpha of a powerful pack like this one. She's the descended of an Alpha, but the youngest sibling, so why should it matter?"

Ah, there it is. Krey hung his towel over the radiator and crossed arms over his bare chest. "Get out of my room. I'm tired."

"Tired from spending all day with Francis?"