Act I. iv

"Chancellor Palpatine and the council wish for us to provide protection for Senator Amidala, attempts have been taken on her life." Master Kenobi told his Padawans.

Xaela immediately felt Anakin tense up, then relax, then breathe weirdly. She looked at him and saw that his eyes were focused far away so she nudged him back to reality. He looked down at her and smiled.

"We are to head down immediately, the Senator and her team will be waiting for us." Obi-Wan said and the two nodded before going to stand up from the bench.

Their Master held his hand up for them to wait and they plopped back down.

"Before we go, Xaela has a decision to make." He turned to her and Anakin sent a confused look. "Your Trial is scheduled for today. Due to circumstances you have the option of postponing it, however I highly suggest you don't."

Xaela looked up at her Master, then to Anakin.

"We'll be fine without you." Her friend said.

But Xaela didn't feel it was right to leave them at the moment. She didn't want to miss this mission, and she wanted the two of them to be there when she became a Jedi Knight. Moral support and familiar faces to go back to after a life changing test were something she could not skip out on.

"If you don't mind, Master, I would like one last mission as your Padawan." She told Obi-Wan.

He smiled at her.

"That's your decision." He said, then turned to Anakin. "I don't think we'd last a day without her."

Xaela laughed and Anakin huffed like a child.

The elevator ride was overwhelmingly tense, and only due to Anakin. His constant rambling and awkward nature surrounding the Senator's arrival made their Master try and calm him down. He hadn't seen her in 10 years, yet he thought of her everyday, no doubt the feeling wasn't mutual on Amidala's part.

When the three of them arrived, Xaela felt Anakin's fingers latch onto her sleeve in nervousness. She leaned in closer to whisper.

"It'll be alright." She said and heard him breathe out a little sigh.

But when the door of the elevator opened to let the three of them in, Anakin's demeanour went straight back to his cocky self and he let go of Xaela's sleeve, though the tension could still be felt.

A Gungan greeted them, he appeared to know Obi-Wan and called for the Senator. A young woman, radiant in every aspect, stood beside an armed man. She smiled as she walked over to the trio, and Obi-Wan bowed before shaking her hand.

"It's a great pleasure to see you again, milady." He said.

"It's been far too long, Master Kenobi." Her voice was soft and smooth and Xaela thought it was nice to listen to.

Then the Senator's eyes drifted to Anakin, and a small, short lived, look of surprise caught her features.

"Ani? My goodness, you've grown."

Anakin stepped towards her, his tension rising.

"So have you." He said, then thought that was weird. "Far more beautiful, I mean. Well, for a Senator, I mean."

Xaela cringed at the train wreck that was her friend. Hoping that the Senator had the decency and grace to save the situation.

She just smiled to undercut the awkward pressure.

"Ani, you'll always be that little boy I knew on Tatooine." She then turned to Xaela. "I don't believe we've met."

"This is my other Padawan, Xaela." Obi-Wan took it upon himself to introduce her. "She's postponing her Jedi Trials for this mission."

The Senator looked almost appalled.

"I don't think this silly threat is important enough to take a Jedi away from her advancements." She turned to find someone responsible for the predicament.

Xaela instantly took a liking to her and smiled.

"Trust me, Senator, it was all my choice." She locked eyes with the woman. "It's hard to find a politician that truly cares about the people, I consider it an honour to be of service."

The Senator relaxed a bit and grinned.

"Our presence here will be invisible, milady, I can assure you." Obi-Wan spoke as everyone started moving towards the couches to sit.

As people around them spoke, Xaela nudged Anakin in the ribs, who flinched almost unnoticeably.

"What was that for?" He whispered harshly to her.

"For creeping out the Senator." Xaela replied and Anakin glared at her.

But Anakin, being Anakin, would not keep his mouth shut. He made promises to Senator Amidala to catch the perpetrator, arguing with their Master, to which Xaela had to intervene, trying to find a middle ground. Luckily, the Senator was more equipped to handle diplomacy than Xaela.

As the Senator retired to her room, her head of security informed Master Kenobi of his precautions, and Anakin spoke to the Gungan named Jar Jar.

"I fear Anakin's temper will jeopardize the mission." Obi-Wan spoke to Xaela.

"Fear leads to anger, Master." She reminded him. "Have a little faith."