Chapter 5: Training

One night after most of Dauntless was in bed, I was returning from the kitchen for a midnight snack when I heard grunts coming from the training room. My curiosity was peaked so I followed the noise and stopped to eat my cookie in the doorway. From my position, I saw a girl practicing with a punching bag. The same girl I carried to the hospital wing.

She was weak the day I saw her in the ring and her motions proved she still lacked strength and technique. "Focus your punches from your core," I suddenly found myself say aloud.

My unexpected presence startled her and she observed me a moment with a cautious gaze. Now that she wasn't alone, I could tell she was uneasy and on guard. Good. Her fear may give her a chance at survival.

"Just try it," I spoke again as I crossed the floor. "If I were here to hurt you, you wouldn't still be standing upright. Let me help."

Another moment passed until she recognized I was unarmed. This, of course, was untrue since I always kept a hidden dagger within close reach, but what she didn't know wouldn't hurt her.

Having somewhat gained her trust, she proceeded to punch the bag again while attempting to incorporate my instruction. "Good, good," I walked around her in a circle as she continued. "Now, watch your footwork. Come over here," I motioned for her to follow me to the arena.

She paused at the edge of the circle before entering the ring, still regarding me with suspicion. I grabbed her wrists and held her hands up in front of her face in the standard battle stance. "This position is your default." I then tapped her legs with my right foot to get to move her feet so they were shoulder-width apart. Once satisfied, I mirrored the position beside her with my knees bent. "Bend your knees and make sure your elbows are close to your body." She imitated the stance.

"You don't have much muscle now, so you're dependent on your speed," I continued, now standing across from her in battle stance. "Try to hit me." Again, distrust filled her eyes. "Go ahead, don't worry about hurting me."

The girl hesitated but sent a punch aimed at my head. It was poorly executed so I dodged it easily.

"Is that all you've got?" I taunted. If she was going to be a good fighter, she would need a motive. Anger was mine so I tried to draw some frustration from her. "I could have dodged that with my eyes closed."

A small fire lit in her eyes and I smiled with satisfaction as she lunged for me. I sidestepped and punched her firmly in the side of her body. She groaned a little as she straightened and reoriented herself from where she fell.

"Watch your footwork, you're getting sloppy," I commented. "See how I step forward when I attack." I demonstrated with a punch to her stomach, which she was too slow to properly dodge. Of course, I restrained myself so my attacks wouldn't cause injury but merely imitate the course of a real fight.

Each moment of defeat caused her anger to grow enough that I knew she wouldn't be able to control it much longer.

Suddenly, she yelled in frustration as her fist flew toward my face. I caught the incoming hand with my own and in one smooth motion, I twisted her body around so both arms were secured behind her back in a tight grip. To ensure her capture, I kicked her legs out from beneath her so she fell onto her knees, held in my clasp.

A few moments of struggle proved her perseverance, but eventually, she acknowledged defeat and remained still.

"What's your name?" I asked, continuing to hold her captive.

"Tris."

I released her and she stood without making a move to attack. No thirst for revenge. Good. "Well, Tris," I crossed my arms and looked into her eyes. They had since cooled down and the anger was subdued though a small flicker remained. "You've got potential if you keep working hard."

Satisfied with the session, I turned my back to her and walked toward the doorway. "Aim for the throat next time and make sure to attack first," I said over my shoulder as I left her in the arena. "Use your whole body instead of your arms and you just might have a chance of making the cut."