five

"you know, i like the people here and all but i hate eating these foods—they have no salt at all," jisu's mother complained with a groan as she read the menu the nurses had left for her to choose from.

"it's healthy food mom, it's what's best for you to eat," she remarked and the woman scoffed then put the menu down. she looked up at her daughter with the corner of her lip tilting slightly upwards and jisu raised a brow, wondering what she was going to ask for now.

"you know... there's this amazing bakery right in front and the muffins are so tasty, do you mind getting me one?"

jisu crossed her arms and frowned at her mother's pleading eyes. the girl had been staying at the hospital for a few days and her mom was constantly asking her to get things like makeup or pretty clothes because she didn't want to wear those ugly hospital gowns all the time. each day that passed, the woman's appearance got better and it wasn't because of the makeup she applied every early morning. the woman could even stand up alone to use the bathroom without jisu's help and could walk around for a longer period of time. about 30 minutes, from what jisu last checked.

jisu still had yet to know what her mother was sick from exactly but she didn't ask because she was afraid her mom would stress out and possibly worsen again.

"i'm sure you're well aware i can't do that. the doctors will murder me if they find out and i don't want to risk anything happening to you either," jisu frowned.

"oh cmon, just once. after this. i will eat all the hospital food i'm given until i can leave." the woman raised up her index finger with a grin. jisu had to think about it and gave in when she decided she could just give her half the dessert.

"fine," she sighed out and stood up from the couch she had been sleeping on the past days then grabbed her coat. the girl was going to end up buying it anyway. her mother had always been really stubborn, but jisu didn't want to give in so easily either." just for today, don't even try to ask me anymore because i will tell the doctors myself."

her mother laughed at the young woman's threat and she nodded." thank you~," she said, dragging out the last word with a pleased smile as jisu grabbed her bag and left the room.

the last few days the girl had stayed with her mother were definitely a breath a fresh air. she didn't realize how much she had missed the woman until she woke up everyday to see her sleeping in the hospital bed beside her. it definitely did hurt seeing her sick but jisu couldn't show how she truly felt to her mom. she wanted to be strong for her, she had to be.

it didn't take very long for jisu to get to the bakery and a few minutes later, she was walking inside the place that smelled like coffee and sweets. luckily, there was no line so she ordered what her mother wanted and a coffee for herself. the young woman felt calm being in the hospital with her mom but she still hadn't been sleeping much. she felt horrendously exhausted but would rather stay up and make sure her mother was alright than go to sleep and the caffeine helped her do just that.

jisu's order was quickly prepared and as she was making her way over to the door, her eyes stopped on the man she had been attempting to avoid since she returned to seoul. namjoon was already gazing at the girl with an emotionless face. her heart raced and she felt her body go cold. the rush of anxiety and guilt she suddenly felt only made her want to cry and the girl wanted to do nothing more than to run out, but as much as she wanted to do it, she knew it wouldn't be right.

jisu walked over to namjoon, gripping the bag that contained the muffin inside and her cup of coffee tightly. she swallowed the lump that formed in her throat and she smiled weakly at the young man. he only stared back with narrowed eyes and when she was only a few feet away from the taller man, she finally spoke.