Secrecy

"The food was delicious, mother!" Sirius said as he pushed away his empty plate, his mate and parents seated at the dinner table.

     "I am glad you liked it, darling! Your mate here helped me to prepare it. Right, Teddy?"

     Teddy offered Sirius' mother a strained smile, refusing to meet the woman's eyes and looking down at his plate instead. The woman still acted cheerfully, putting on the mask she wore in the presence of the Clan members... the same mask with which she presented herself to Teddy a few hours ago when they firstly met. But underneath that facade, Teddy could see the havoc of her feelings freshely imprinted into his mind. He witnessed the wreckage of the woman and all he could think was how bad her emotions were rotting her from inside out. The crescent marks of her nails on her skin advertised her agony pretty loudly. Agony that she couldn't "save" her son from a "sinful" destiny.

     "Hey, are you ok?"  Sirius asked through his mind link with Teddy, making the later break out of his daze with a flinch.

      "Yup. Just spacing out."

      Sirius stood up from his seat at the kitchen table, wiping his hands on a paper towel and looking at Teddy who was curiously staring back at him.

      "Well, I think it's time for me and Teddy to go. Nash invited us to his barbecue party and I don't wanna be late." He said out loudly, smiling when Teddy's brows bowed into a frown.

        "Wait, do you wanna go to the barbecue?"

     "Well, I know Nash invited only you, but if you are ok with it, then I think it would be nice to get to know your friends and family better."

     "Of course I am ok with it. I just thought that after what Nash said you would be mad with him."

     "I'm already used with people not liking me. I deserve it for being an asshole and treating them harshly."

     "You're not. You are a good leader and they look up to you."

     "They better!"

      Sirius chuckled, stiffening when his father mended his voice and made him aware of the fact they were still at the dinner table.

      "Son, don't forget the coronation will be next Saturday before the day dawns. Tomorrow you will start showing Teddy's new duties as your mate and Monday we'll go to present you and your seconds in comand to the other gangs. Understood?"            

      "Yes father."

       "Good. Now go to the barbecue!"           

      Sirius nodded solemnly, taking Teddy's large palm into his own and pulling him towards his car. 

      "I would offer to give you something to change into, but I don't think my clothes would fit you."

    "It's ok. I will change when I get home."

      "You mean Bullock's home. Now your home is with me." Sirius snickered slyly, a wide grin spreading over his lips when Teddy's mouth curled into a timid smile. He stopped on the spot and grabbed Teddy's forearm, lifting himself on his tiptoes in order to press a short peck on his mate's lips. 

       "I'm driving this time." He said against Teddy's lips, tasting them one more time before rushing towards his car and climbing into the driver's seat. Teddy followed after him slowly, taking his sweet time to reach the car.

       'I've never thought Sirius could to be this touchy and sweet with someone...' He said into his mind link with Baloo, making the 5'9 beast snort. 

       'He only does it with you. You should see how much resistance he  opposes when I come out."

      "That's because you are too pushy, Baloo. You have to give him time to get used to us."

       Baloo mumbled some incoerent words, making Teddy shake his head as he surrounded the car and climbed into the passenger seat next to his mate. Sirius smiled warmly at him, starting the car and driving out of the parking lot. 

      "So, I realized we started all this mating without knowing much about each other. How about you start telling me some things about yourself? Like what's your favorite color or.. favorite type of music. Do you have any hobbies?" He said once they were on the road, the radio playing silently in the background. 

       Teddy frowned his brows in concentration, lifting his gaze to stare at the roof of the car.

         "Favorite color... the rainbow. I like any type of music, usually matching with my mood. And hobbies? I train most of the time so...maybe spending time with my friends. I don't do much actually."

      "Oh..." Sirius nodded, realizing he as well, spent all his free time on training and managing the pack.

       "Wait, rainbow? That's not a color!"

        "Maybe not for others, but for me it is."

       Sirius smiled, shaking his head between chuckles. 

      "Anyways, your favorite desserts are honey cookies and candies. You like sausages and honey pork tenderloin and you can't stand tea and juices at all. All you drink is water. Did I get it right?"

       Teddy frowned, turning to look at his mate in shock.

      "H-how do you know?"

       "I've watched you at clan gatherings and between training breaks. The truth is... I've always felt some kind of pull towards you."

      Teddy nodded, feeling bad that he had been so infatuated with Vicky he didn't realise someone else had feelings for him. Maybe this was the reason why Sirius acted so harshly with him in the past. He was afraid of his emotions and tried to push Teddy away in  case he wasn't his mate.

      The bear shifter leaned his head against his seat, turning to face his mate and look at him curiously.

      "Do you remember when we attacked the Downfall Gang and I dragged you into a janitor closet away from the gunfire?" He asked, confused on why Sirius' ears were gradually growing redder.

     "Yes."

      "Why did you punish me the next day?"

     Sirius bit on his lips, his thumbs tapping nervously onto the steering wheel.

      "Well, you were pressing yourself into me and the closet was kinda narrow and I... I got a little bothered. I thought you felt it and decided to humiliate you in front of the Clan before you could start spreading rumors about me."

      "I wouldn't have done that."

      "I know. I've just always been scared of rejection and mocking.  In the process I've hurt you and I won't be able to forgive myself for it. If I could take back my actions, then I would do it without a second thought."

      "I don't want you to though. Your harsh behavior is what made me the strong shifter I am today."

       Sirius sucked in his cheeks, a lost expression unraveling onto his face.

       "Anyways, I wanted to ask you something, but I couldn't find the chance to..." Teddy said as silence fell over the car, making Sirius turn his attention back to him.

      "Mhm?"

      "Well... Baloo was telling me that he cannot talk with your cat and every time he tries to reach it, a wall is rising between the two of them. Do you  know why this is happening?"

     Sirius' cheeks went haggard, his eyes widening slightly as his head shoot brusquely onto the empty road. He kept silent and tried to block out Teddy's gaze, speaking only when the silence became too unbearable.

      "No, I dont."

       "I have no idea why this is happening..."