Chapter 4

Cameron Santiago POV

We just finished up dinner and everyone went separate ways. I third wheeled Krashlyn since I arrived. Plus, it's not like Ashlyn will let me out of her sight which I don't mind. It's nice having someone protective around me. It makes me safe which is something I haven't felt in a while.

Flashback

It's my fifth day here at the rehabilitation facility. My withdrawal symptoms are hitting me like a truck. My body has never felt so weak and defeated. Chills and body aches no matter the temperature in the room. The first three days were the worst. Ashlyn was by my side as I threw up and shivered throughout the day and stayed with me through the nightmares at night. It was bad to say the least. We didn't have a chance to actually converse due to both of us dealing with our withdrawal symptoms. She didn't think I noticed, but I saw how she tried her best to hide her symptoms in order to make sure I was okay. She protected and comforted me without a word.

"Ash," I whisper in the darkness. It was a little after midnight and lights out were over an hour ago. I've been having trouble falling asleep every night and tonight was no different.

"Yeah Cammy?" She responds. I hear the sleepiness in her voice. But she knows just what I need as she pulls her covers up and scoots closer to the edge of the bed making room for one more person to fit. I climb in as she wraps her arms around my body as we both shiver from our withdrawals. And just like that we both fall asleep.

End of flashback

"You want to take a walk with me?" Ashlyn asked. "Catch up before we actually start practicing tomorrow."

"Yeah let's go now." I say as we make our way out of the hotel. As we walk down the streets of Los Angeles, there is this comfortable silence over us.

"What happened after I left? I tried looking for you," she asked me.

"Well, I completed my treatment two weeks after you completed yours. I stayed with my foster parents for less than a year before I aged out of the system. My foster family gave me the last check the government left for me. I couldn't stay in Florida. It had too many memories for me to stay sober, so I took a bus to New Jersey. Once there, I still didn't have anywhere to go. I lived on the streets for months. I was working three jobs, but not making enough for a roof over my head. Somehow I managed to find my way to Princeton University. They were having tryouts for their soccer team and long story short I made it. But then a Stanford recruiter gave me an offer I couldn't give up and next thing I know I'm in California training at an Ivy League school. Two years later, I'm called up to train for the national team." I explain as we continue to walk around.

"I went to talk to your foster parents and they said they haven't seen or talked to you once you aged out of the system. You should've called me. I told you I would take care of you." She looked into my eyes with tears in them.

"I knew you would have dropped everything and you were just getting your life back together. I didn't want to mess anything up for you. I didn't want to burden you as you were getting back on your feet." I teared up as well as I spoke the truth.

"We talked about this before I left you. No matter what, you always have me. You are not a burden. Of course I would drop things for you. You saved me and gave me hope. You were the light that got me out of my hell hole. You know what you did for me." By now we both stopped and just went back and forth at each other. We are both stubborn human beings.

"I know you feel guilty for leaving me. But Ash, I forgive you. It was my decision. I know cutting people off isn't the answer and I did it anyway. But look at where you are. Look at where I am. The universe made us meet again. I forgive you. Will you forgive me for vanishing off the Earth"

"Of course. Of course I forgive you." She says wrapping her arm around my shoulder. We start walking back in the direction of the hotel. "So you staying clean?"

"You bet I am. I never wanted to be hooked on drugs or in that position but there I was. Not going to lie, the cravings are always there, but seeing how far I've come helps a lot. But I do get scared of slipping up, so I stay away from everything except Advil and Tylenol. What about you?"

"I am very much clean. Ever since I left, things were falling into place. I haven't touched a drink since rehab. It's going well. I stick to sparkling water if I want to feel fancy at a party." She chuckles.

"Let me know if you need anything, Cammy." I haven't heard that nickname in years. She was the only other person to use it other than my parents.

We reach the hotel and make our way upstairs.

"I will! Goodnight Ash. I love you." I give her the tightest hug. Something about our hugs just fits like a perfect glove.

"I love you, Cammy." 

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

AN-My apologizes if there are grammar and spelling mistakes, I didn't look it over.  Let me know how my writing is. I know I am a bit rusty but I'm trying. But I hope you all enjoy this chapter. Have a beautiful day.

-AK