Eighteen | Where Is Our Daughter?

"We're letting everyone know Ciara is missing." Arvy showed the police chief the emails on his device.

Bets stood behind him. "All the kids from the school are helping. They're going in pairs with adults or small groups to tell the folks in town to keep an eye open for her."

"She's bound to gravitate to any animals, especially ones who might need her," piped up Arvy.

The officer drew in a deep breath. "I'm sorry, but it's not very much to identify her really—"

"It's all that we've got," Arvy cried.

Bets put both hands over her mouth.  Her voice trembled when she said, "But we haven't heard anything yet and the school hasn't heard."

"There have been no further signs at all, since her lunch was found?" Arvy's father asked.

"No, I'm sorry."

Mr. Runyon shook his head.  "Well, can you tell us anything?"

"Search and Rescue says in cases like this they can't take a guess—because your daughter clearly got across the river, and that's not likely to involve other people."

"That's a comfort, Bets," Mr. Runyon gave her a strengthening squeeze.

"But she's all alone out there—!"

"She'll work it out in her own way. You know Ceece."

"Kids can be clever, Ma'am! It's true. Good thing is, there are no rocks she could have hit going in. You've told us she swims really well, and it looks like she opened her lunch on the bank over there and birds got it, but—"

"We know that!" Bets snapped.

"That was the crow," said Arvy.

"Likely fed it to the crows, herself," said his father.

The policer officer cut in with a calm voice. "She may be hungry, but not likely hurt. We will not stop searching."

"It will just test her skills to navigate all the way round, right?" Mr. Runyon attempted to sound positive, but the cracks of his worry showed through.

"Samuel!"

"She will find people, Bets."

"Yeah," Arvy chimed in. "On the bright side—she won't have to do her navigation badge—that's only if she doesn't lose her nerve."

"Son—not the time." Mr. Runyon shook his head at Arvid, then asked the policeman. "How long can she realistically last out there?" His voice was steady, but grave.

"Hmmm—it's been warm—I don't know. It's early yet. We'll keep searching until we find her. Don't worry. We're not in the mountains here—no rugged terrain. This officer will stay with you." A silent woman in uniform with her hands behind her back, gave them a nod.

The police car drove away.

≈≈≈/