17. Where lies the border?

Natalie had prepared a low table filled with delicious food. There were pillows on the floor so they could sit comfortably. Under her welcoming interest, Conner relaxed. To avoid annoyances, he focused almost entirely on Natalie. Her warmth and female attention was exactly what he needed now.

Alex slumped on a pillow and observed Conner who seemed to take his wife completely. His blue eyes followed her every move and he showered her with compliments about her appearance, food and her hospitality. The attractive young man's flattering attention brought a glow to her cheeks that he hadn't seen in a long time. Jealousy struck him so unexpectedly that he visibly cringed.

"Everything all right?", Jason asked.

Conner and Natalie hadn't noticed anything.

"Yes," Alex nodded absently. How was this possible? Natalie and he had an open relationship. There had never been jealousy. But now that this young and vital man was paying her attention, he felt a possessiveness flowing through his veins. Natalie enjoyed it. He didn't want to take that away from her. The best way to get back at Conner, he thought devilish, was to give Jason his full attention.

Soon Jason had a glow that could rival Natalie's. He could see by the glower that the Marine threw at him that it worked.

Conner was eating himself up. 'Damn it! What did Jason think he was doing?', he growled to himself. He shamelessly accepted Alex's flattering attention.

The drink flowed profusely. Natalie and Jason enjoyed themselves excellently, but Conner couldn't longer stand it.

"Can I talk to you separately?" he told Alex directly.

Combatively, the man ran after him. In the hall, he took a deep breath. "I want you to leave Jason alone."

Alex laughed. "He's old enough to decide for himself what's good for him."

"Obviously not, because he ignored all my warnings," Conner told him. "By the way, you should know better. Natalie told me this afternoon that you would never start anything with someone suffering from a broken heart."

"She knows me well," Alex nodded.

"So what's up with the whole seduction scene?" he asked loudly.

"I can ask you the same," Alex replied in the equally loud tone.

"What do you mean?", Conner angrily shouted.

"Very simple. If you seduce my wife, I seduce yours!"

"What?", Conner stammered stunned. "What are you talking about? I'm not seducing Natalie and in which Universe is Jason my wife!" he roared.

Combatively, Alex leaned towards him. "You may not fuck him, but you're obviously possessive and jealous!"

Conner shook his head in disbelief. "I really don't understand what you're referring to. All I'm trying to do is protect him from new heartache. Honestly, your attitude is really offensive. How do you get it into your head to hit on Jason in the presence of your incredible wife?"

Behind them, the door was pulled open with a jerk. Jason appeared with a very disgruntled expression on his face.

"Natalie and I have heard enough of you. Please stop these absurd accusations and come inside."

Conner shoved past him and grabbed their coats.

"I'm really sorry to end the evening so abruptly," he said to Natalie, pressing a quick kiss on her cheek. "But we're going now. I've heard enough excuses today," he angrily gazed at Alex and Jason.

Without giving Jason another chance to say anything, he dragged him along. Totally stunned, Jason was pushed into his car as Conner walked around, got in and in a controlled fashion drove away.