Onyx

I could knee him in the balls

A million ways to get the possibly dangerous boy away from her unconcious twin raced through Alisa's mind. She quickly decided on making sure he would never celebrate Father's Day, since that defense was rather incapacitating.

Except...he didn't look threatening.

He was pale and blonde and scrawny as Jada's favourite stick. He looked like a deer in headlights, green eyes wide and bottom lip quivering. His furtive gaze kept skittering between her brother, her, and the space behind him, as if contemplating whether to make a break for it or not.

Still...

She'd learned never to underestimate people and that no matter how harmless they looked, they could still harm her. Alisa was smart, smart enough to know it was better to be safe than sorry. Before the strange, skinny boy could even blink, she flew at him and kicked him right in the groin.

"I told you to step away from my brother," she said, voice cold as the steel the damn maze they were trapped in was made of. Alisa didn't know much about Vanguard, but she knew enough. She knew she couldn't trust anybody except for Cheng Xin---and Jada.

The boy, having instantly crumpled to the ground, let out a low moan. "I hate being human," he whimpered. "By gosh, I'm not going to survive Earth."

...hate being human? Not going to survive Earth?

Alisa ignored the boy's strange words, kneeling down next to her brother. To her relief, Cheng Xin seemed alive---he was breathing, at least. She brushed careful fingertips over the blood streaking down her face, pressing down on the edges of the gauze taped over the empty socket that used to be her left eyeball. When she'd finally passed out from pain, they'd gouged it out completely. It throbbed with the burn of a thousand fires, occasionally sending what remaining vision she had into blurry agony.

It would probably end up infected soon.

Those fucking bastards.

No. That fucking bastard.

"You're, uh, bleeding," the boy said from his spot on the floor, where he was still lying, clutching his injured groin.

Alisa decided he was pretty harmless---probably just a bit of an idiot.

"Thank you, Mr Obvious. I am well aware of the fact that I'm bleeding. Surely you would be too, if the fucking government separated you from your brother, took your dog, carved out your eye and left you to die in a maze," she scoffed.

The boy groaned again, diverting his eyes up to the metal ceiling above their heads. "I break the speed limit one time, and this happens."

Definitely an idiot.

A bark from the rucksack lying next to her brother made her scramble over to it. Jada! She desperately threw the flap open and was immediately attacked by a tornado of brown fur, yapping excitedly as it licked her face. Alisa winced whenever her dog's rough tongue brushed over the makeshift eyepatch.