12

ACHILLES' HEEL
— 12. Unrequited Love

 Unrequited Love

     At the bar, Gloria placed three beers in front of Klaus, Annikah, and Stefan. "Where's Rebekah?" She found herself asking, an impatient look on her face.

"You needn't worry, Gloria, she'll be here soon," Annikah assured Gloria, a small smile on her face, "We can't just conjure her on demand, you know."

"Perhaps you shouldn't have dagger her in the first place," Klaus pointed out, just to annoy Annikah.

She turned to him, rolling her eyes in annoyance. "Perhaps you should have undaggered her earlier instead of waiting nine decades."

"You and I both know I did it to protect you," Klaus pointed out, earning a small sigh in defeat.

"Touche," Annikah responded quietly, a defeated look on her face as she took a large sip of her beer.

As Gloria walked away, Annikah and Klaus turned their attention to Stefan, who hadn't said a word since they went to the apartment.

Annikah smirked, knowing the reason behind it. "What's with you, Salvatore?" She playfully asked, patting him on the back, "I could've sworn Chicago was your playground."

Stefan slowly lifted his head, giving Annikah an odd look. She smiled, despite that, which concerned Stefan even more.

The desperation to know what she was up to was completely consuming him from the inside out.

"So this is why you asked me to your wingman?" Stefan snapped at the duo, clearly growing fed up with them, "Because the two of you liked the way I tortured innocent people?"

"Well, that's certainly half of it," Klaus admitted as he shrugged his shoulders, "What's the other half?"

"The other half, Stefan," Klaus paused as he poured the three of them shots, "Is that you used to want to be my wingman." He informed Stefan as he slid over a shot glass filled with whiskey.

Chicago, 1922

After sliding Klaus over a shot, the duo wasted no time downing their whiskey. "They're jealous," Stefan informed Klaus, referring to the hybrid's family, "Your family wants you and Annikah dead because they can never be what you two are."

"What? Abominations?" Klaus complained, looking down at his empty glass in shame.

"No," Stefan argued, placing a hand on Klaus' shoulder, "A King and a Queen."

Klaus slowly turned to Stefan, surprised by his words. "Huh?" He asked, the two of them beginning to laugh, "Look at us. Two said orphans."

"Yeah," Stefan argued, taking a large sip of his whiskey.

The duo turned their heads, locking eyes on Rebekah, who was speaking to a random man while her eyes were locked on her brother and Stefan.