ix. Unexpected Company

IT was a good feeling to be able to look forward to a relaxing night after finishing essays and having a filling dinner.

I was already dreaming about being able to unwind in the comfort of my own dormitory until I was suddenly reminded of something crucial.

"Hey, Mar, can you do me a favor? I really need to hand in this essay by tomorrow so I can't join you for our rounds tonight," Ernie explained, staring at me sheepishly.

I froze midway through packing my things back in my bag and shot Ernie a panicked look.

"What?"

"I completely forgot we had rounds tonight," I whispered, horrified.

"Again?" Ernie said awkwardly but held his hands up in surrender when I shot him a look.

Shutting my eyes in pain, I hurriedly packed and left my bag on the table whilst  muttering curses under my breath.

Merlin, how could I have forgotten my Prefect duties?

I must've been so consumed with homeworks and my notes that it completely slipped my mind. Worse, this wasn't the first time it happened. 

We were the only fifth-years that were awake in the common room, accompanied with a group of fourth-years and some seventh-years who were also completing essays.

Ruby already left to sleep after seeing us work, claiming that she was going to strangle herself if she saw another Potions essay being written.

If it weren't for the growing dilemma in my chest, I would've enjoyed the ambience the room gave. Halfway through writing my essay I could already feel my eyelids grow heavy listening to the soft crackle of the flames in the fireplace. But now I was very much awake.

Ernie shifted in his seat, waiting for my answer and I sighed. It's not like I was annoyed that Ernie was asking, in all actuality I didn't mind at all. It was just such a big inconvenience that I realized last minute, just as I was about to seek refuge for the night.

Cursing myself internally, I gave Ernie a smile and a nod. My memory was really horrible.

"Thank you, Margo," Ernie sighed in relief. "I owe you one."

"You better," I replied jokingly and we chuckled.

"But seriously, Ernie, you owe me."

The castle at night was rather intimidating if not scary.

"Lumos," I muttered, holding out my wand.

The corridors were dim, the torches lining the walls and my wand providing the only source of light. It was chillier at night, too. I pulled my sleeves down to my wrist, cursing myself for not bringing my robes for extra warmth.

I was gripping my wand tighter than usual; due it be to the cold or my paranoia, I didn't know. 

Usually when I did my rounds it would be with Ernie and the two of us would be joking around or talking about anything that came to mind. But now I was alone with no one to talk to. I took notice of the way the corridors looked more eerie in the dark.