3

I power-walked four whole blocks just to see if you were okay, Kelsey. Why couldn't you pick one of the seven other cafes I walked past ? Your decision told me you either didn't want to found or he forced you to go to this one because it's three doors down from his favourite gym. This is why you shouldn't share everything online.

You weren't there when I arrived but Max was sitting impatiently by the window so I knew you'd arrive soon. I ordered an over-priced coffee and took my seat a couple of tables away from him so I could hear what you two would be talking about but it wasn't obvious I was listening. You appeared ten minutes later, you had the paper bag I gave you swinging off one wrist and your handbag swinging off the other.
You took your hair out of the bun so it was hanging freely and sighed, you were extremely out of breath so I knew you ran here. You wanted to make an effort and that was understandable.  He stood up when he saw you but it was done through a huff as though greeting you was a chore, then he lazily threw his arms over you when he saw you and the pair of you called this a hug but neither of you looked happy. You were frowning and he looked angry, before you even had the chance to sit down he grabbed the bag out of your grip. "You went shopping, did you ? That's why you were late to meet me" he said bitterly while sliding the book out of the bag and laughing.

"Jesus fucking Christ. Book shopping ? Again ? You just cant leave things alone, can you ? I told you I'd sort Jennifer's present, we'll get her crystal or something, this is why you fucking ran out earlier. Pathetic" he spat before slamming the book onto the table, it didn't make much noise but you still jumped at the sound. You weren't comfortable and everyone in here could see it, it wasn't like you showed him the present you wanted to get your mother, he looked himself and then snapped at you. "Sit down your causing a scene" he hissed once he felt the eyes on him so the pair of you slowly sat down. "I'm not apologising before you ask me too. It's pathetic to show up with a lousy book with the money you make. That woman saved you from growing up in a meth lab, least you can do is splash some cash" he barked, he hit a nerve there, I could see it on your face and so could he. "Look at me like that again you selfish little bitch" he spat in a low volume so no one could listen, but you didn't stop looking at him so he slammed his coffee cup on the table, knowing he'd soak the book and when that did little damage, he began pouring the contents on the pages while his fingers danced across the pages. I could see the tears in your eyes but you wouldn't let him see you cry, you just tried to salvage the unsalvageable book.

"Look at you now. Playing the poor little Kelsey act to all these clueless people in the cafe. In a cafe I'm respected in at that. Just because you have money doesn't mean you just go throwing it around on shit like this, besides Jennifer would hate it" he rambled on, contradicting all previous statements and acting like he knew your own mother better than you do. "Why don't you tell her that at the party" you mumbled, your head was in your hands, you were clutching clumps of your hair and taking multiple deep breaths per second. "How many more fucking times. I'm not going to that party" he began and from that point he just shouted about the party for what felt like years. It wasn't the first he lost it because of the party and I could see it in your eyes, it wasn't going to be the last time he lost it for no reason.

"I hope your happy now I'm riled up and late to my gym session, you're lucky I have my boxing gloves this time" he spat before storming out. I didn't even want to know what the last sentence meant. The second he left, relief washed over your face and you scrope your hair back into a low bun and burst into tears. Everyone in the cafe felt for you at that moment and you noticed so ran to the bathroom to cry in peace. It could not be physically possible for a person to treat another person like that. Max had to pay for the mistreatment of you. No, I couldn't but all I had to do was watch you once you came back from the bathroom. You pulled out your computer, your back was to me so I had a full view of your screen. You were biting your acrylics while working on an account but then you quickly switched to Amazon, you were going to buy another copy of the book Max completely ruined for you but then you didn't.

You stayed in the cafe for atleast another two hours and I was relived once you left because neither my stomach nor bank account could handle anymore coffee. You packed your things away, scrolled through your phone to find a song, put in your hot pink earbuds and began walking. And my feet acted before my brain could so I was following you. It wasn't my fault, it was simply just me falling into to old habits and I couldn't stop myself. I had the urge to make sure you got home safely and this way I could guarantee the person behind you had no intent to hurt you. You didn't live too far away from the cafe, you shared a house with two other people, well, from what I could see, there were three girls in the living room.

It was the one room I had a perfect view of, all of the other room cleverly had curtains. I couldn't blame you, you don't know who could be lurking in plain sight but the other part of me prayed you spent most of your time in the living room.  I had to make sure you were okay whenever I felt you were in danger and how would I know if I couldn't see you.

You had a glass of red wine in your hand and you had your feet up watching T.V. You were relaxing and appeared to be enjoying yourself so I thought it would be the perfect time to call you. I typed your number into my phone before realizing you could've given me your work phone number. My concern was put to rest when you picked up in two beats. You care about people, you want to give them your service and attention whether you're working or not.
"Hello. This is Kelsey's phone" you said, you sounded drained but again, had that fake niceness. You don't need to do this with me Kelsey, we've been over this. "Hi. This is Joe from Mooneys" I began and I saw your face light up for the second time that day from the window. "Hi. How can I help you ?" you asked, your head was tilted your legs were crossed and were ready to genuinely help me.

"Looking for an accountant then, are we ?" you then asked me and I nodded but then I remembered you couldn't see me so I just said the word yes.

It was evident to me that whoever you were working for didn't treat you right. It was evident, from what I could see, that no one in your life treated you the way you were supposed to be treated and it breaks my heart. You told me you'd have to talk to your boss but you'd do it. You'd do it for me and that's how I knew. We were destined to be together.