Chapter 19

Where the hell is this dose of vancomycin? Don't worry pharmacy, I don't have fifty other things I need to do right now. Sure, I haven't eaten lunch yet and I have two patients receiving blood transfusions at the moment but I have all the time in the world to wait on you, pharmacy techs.

Cue the dramatic eye roll.

"Hi, this is Lauren from the seventh floor. I'm just calling to follow up about a medication request I placed for a dose of vancomycin? For room 731? Yeah, I requested the medication over an hour ago. Yes, I checked the medication room," I sigh deeply.

Why wouldn't I check the medication room for medication? I swear I will physically fight the next tech who asks me that question.

The vancomycin needs to run over two hours, because Nick has a mild allergy to it. He needs to be pre-medicated with Benadryl before he can receive the drug to help prevent reactions, but I really shouldn't pre-medicate him until I actually have the medication here. He also needs cefepime, micafungin, ondansetron, and a platelet transfusion but I can't do any of these things until I give the vancomycin. I can almost feel the stress lines forming on my face.

Just another day in paradise.

My phone chimes, alerting me of a call light, and I realize that Mia's blood transfusion must be done. I'll get back to the pharmacy department and their bed of lies later.

I knock on Mia's door and sanitize my hands before entering.

"Hey guys! Pump is beeping?" Despite my frustrations with pharmacy, my voice is upbeat.

"Yeah, I think it looks like it might be done?" Ashley responds, unsure.

I assess the bag, noting it is essentially empty. Only a red smattering of color in the flattened bag and a big O+ display shows any sign of blood previously inhabiting it.

I mess with the tubing of her transfusion, switching the valves so that normal saline begins to flush the remainder of the blood from the tubing into Mia's central line.

"Yep, just needs to be flushed through. Should only be a couple more minutes," I inform her.

I cross my arms and lean against the sky blue wall, prepared to wait for the flush to finish.

"Should we expect this often? Transfusions?"

"It is exceptionally common. I'd bet she'll receive dozens of transfusions throughout her treatment. Especially during her stem cell transplant."

"Feels kind of weird," Ashley admits.

"I understand. She's done really well, though. I mean, she made it all the way until Monday before needing one. That's actually pretty good." I observe Mia fondly as she sleeps soundly, obviously feeling the effects of fatigue from her harsh chemotherapy treatment. I smile at the dark curls that wildly cover her face, the fluffy blanket wrapped around her like a cocoon. She's so cute.

"Besides," I continue, "blood transfusions are really helpful in that they really improve her overall oxygenation and energy levels. Honestly, the transfusion will likely perk her up a bit. I'm sure you're ready for your peppy girl to be back."

A large, genuine smile graces Ashley's face before she responds, "Thank you so much for spending time with her this weekend. I know you must be so busy, but I know she absolutely loved painting with you yesterday. She was a little sad that Logan and his family left, and you really distracted her. She wouldn't stop talking about 'Ren' who helped her paint."

I grin at the memory. I offered to spend some time with Mia so Ashley could run home to grab some things—I didn't want her to be all alone. Logan's family had to leave Saturday night, which meant he was gone the entirety of Sunday. Nonetheless, Mia and I had a great time together. She painted a beautiful picture of a mermaid that resembled a blob and I attempted to paint a tiara. It's hard to say whose painting was more successful. Mia's, probably. I see the two paintings taped to the back of the bathroom door and smile. Yeah, hers is definitely better.