Chapter Forty-Nine: Slithering to Our Demise

"To hurt is as human as to breathe

"To hurt is as human as to breathe."
― J.K. Rowling

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"We open the door." I hear Abby mimic me under her breath as we step into the pyramid. It was dark, and there were visible traces of powerful dark magic here. "Well, obviously, we open the damn door!!" She scowls.

"Abs shut up," I whisper, ambling along, trying to follow the path of dark magic residue. I prop open my compass locket to see the new image that would show me my future. It was filled to the brim with fire.

Lovely.

Avery falls in step with me, making Abby freak out at being the person left behind, so she runs to grip my arm. It was getting too dark to see, so my wand comes up. "Lumos." I murmur, alighting my wand with light. Abby and Avery copy me, and soon we have enough light to continue our passage.

"What are we doing here, anyway?" Avery hisses.

"We are here to destroy a book," I answer. "It's a book filled with evil intentions, and it's buried with the man who wrote it."

"Great, we're here to destroy an evil book. Could life get any better?" Abby snaps. Her nervousness being expressed as sarcasm.

We arrive outside the door that would lead us into the tomb. "Are you sure you guys want to come in?" I ask.

"No," Avery states blandly making Abby slap his chest.

"We are already here! We might as well help!!" She demands, but the fear was prevalent in her eyes.

"Nothing will happen to you two. You have my word." I inform them, staring at the door. It was infused with black magic. Supposedly triggering a multitude of traps once anyone touched it.

"Why don't we just open it!?" Avery snaps and moves to open the door. I pull him back from his shirt in a second.

"DON'T TOUCH IT!" I boom. "You'll cause us all to fall prey to traps that are there to kill intruders! So us!!!" I snap in anger. He pales at the revelation and sighs.