35. I would never abandon you

Akshita

After Ashish left, I helped my mother in cleaning the kitchen. I was thoroughly prepared to get bored because my parents and I rarely have any conversation and if we do, it's completely irrelevant. Still, I sat with them for some time but as I already knew, they talked to me about family life and just that kind of stuff. Ashish texted me after he reached and I sent him a dozen kissing emojis. Corny Akshita!!!

It was evening and I had enough, I was bored out of my wits. I texted Khushi to ask if she was free to talk and she called me right away so we talked for some time.

After talking to Khushi, I still had a lot of time on my hand so I called mamma-papa and talked to them for a while. They told me that Ashish was back into his workaholic mode and he was doing so much work. He had been in and out of meetings since morning and now he was gone to another branch because an issue had arisen there. We joked about things and I felt so good after talking to them. We were talking when I heard the doorbell ring.

I said goodbye to them and went outside smiling, to see who arrived at this hour because it was past evening and we barely had guests at this time. As soon as I saw who arrived, I wanted to run back and bolt my door.

My cousin Reva and her husband Akash had come. Akash had his usual ugly smirk plastered over his face. Colour drained from my face when he looked me in the eye.

"W..why are they here?" I stuttered, gathering a bit of courage. Inside, I was crumbling into pieces. After what he did to me last time, I never thought I would have to see him again.

"Where are your manners?" My father chided me. I flinched at his rough tone and a shiver ran down my spine. I wasn't afraid of them, I had come a long way but the person I detested the most in the world was in front of me. I felt like I lost my courage and fear gripped my heart.

"We were invited. Otherwise, we wouldn't set a foot in a place where you are," Akash spat angrily, displaying his authority, behaving as if he never did anything wrong. My heart constricted, hearing his voice and I felt shivers in my body. I looked at my parents for an explanation.

"Even after what he did to me last time, you guys invited him in my presence?" I asked them in an accusatory tone.

"He did nothing to you last time. Stop saying it again and again." My mother shouted at me.

"You denying it wouldn't change the fact that he tried to rape me," I shouted at her.

"Shut up!" My father yelled angrily.

"How could you..." I was cut off rudely as my father started talking.

"We have called them here so you could apologize to Akash for your behaviour last time. You are accusing him of something he didn't do and you provoked Ashish against him too. Just apologize so we can close this matter once and for all. Akash is older than you, I am sure, he would forgive you for your silly mistake." My father said in a tone of finality as if I should be grateful for Akash if he forgives me.

"You want me to apologize to him?" I looked at Akash and saw him smirking at me.

"Yes, now go make tea for them and then apologize." Mother ordered me as if I was their servant. I didn't go anywhere, I just stood there frozen to my place. He was smiling, after he tried to molest his wife's sister last time, he had the courage to even face her and now he was shamelessly expecting an apology from me.

"Aunty, we shouldn't forget that among other things that our dearest Akshita lack, manners are her most lacking virtue." Reva di commented at me rudely. I stared at her, still in disbelief at everything happening around me. It was as if I was physically there but my soul had left me.