Chapter 25

"You were such a badass out there."

Vivian grabbed my hand and pulled me deeper into the house the second I stepped through the threshold. I didn't even have time to take in a deep breath when we were already standing in the middle of the living room. She was bouncing up and down, while still holding onto my hand.

"How do you know about that?" It didn't make sense for her to already know everything because we had only just returned.

"I was there, of course. We all were. We were way in the back, but we still heard everything."

"We?" I looked over to Rob and Zara who were standing a couple of steps away from us.

Their proud smiles matched the one from Vivian.

"You looked a little cool." Rob tried to act mature, but the wide grin that spread across his lips ruined the effect.

"You looked like a true High Priestess," Vivian chirped in. She was still holding onto my hand when Kasey suddenly slug her arm over her shoulders.

"Why don't we give Gabriela some space to breathe?" Kasey nudged Vivian a few steps backward, effectively forcing her to let go of me. 

Vivian poked her tongue at Kasey, which earned her an eye-roll from the said witch.

"Really mature."

While I was busy trying to figure out when Kasey and Vivian had grown so close, Rob was already on a different topic.

"What are we going to do about the whole Darlene mess?"

"There's a—" I remembered that Theo had found something during our search in my mother's study.

"I'll go get it." The said guy interrupted me before I could finish and disappeared up the staircase.

"Is it true?" Kasey asked after she let go of Vivian and plotted herself down onto the nearest armchair. "About your mother."

"Yes." With a firm nod, I sat down on the couch. I had a feeling I would be answering the same question over and over again before this mess was finally behind us.

"Why didn't you tell us before? Why now?" She prodded on.

"I didn't tell anyone because I wanted to be the one to punish them." I kept my eyes focused on the wooden floor. "And now, I felt it was time everyone found out the truth."

"Do you know who the last person is?" Vivian sat down on the armrest of Kasey's armchair.

"Yes."

Before anyone could ask anything else, Theo returned. Wordlessly he handed me a thin folder and then sat down next to me. He leaned against the back of the couch, with his long arm sprawled across the top.

There wasn't much written on the few sheathes of paper inside the file, but I immediately recognized the handwriting. My mother's writing.

A big lump formed in my throat, but I forced myself to skim through the beginning of the text. I searched for anything connected to my grandmother.

"There it is..." I found what I was looking for and began to read further along. It was only a few paragraphs, but it was more than I had until now.

Once I finished with the last letter, I pushed the file close and rested it on my lap.

"Well?" Kasey prodded.

I looked at the said witch, and she met my eyes without hesitation. "Looks like we're second cousins, after all. Luciana, my grandmother, had an older sister, named Beatriz Castillo. Your grandmother."