36 ★ Fatherless

𝕎𝕖 𝔻𝕠𝕟'𝕥 𝕂𝕟𝕠𝕨 - 𝔹𝕖𝕖𝕔𝕙𝕖𝕤

"Like a whisper on the sea

Is the fatherless in me

All I want is to believe"

Cedric POV

     I thought that if I got back to my pack, that everything would be perfect.

      Maybe the peace of being home, where I belong, would bring some clam back into my life. I'm in my element. Things should be normal, they should be better, but they're not. They're far from it.

      I'm being bombarded with responsibilities and questions as soon as we pull into the grounds. I definitely haven't forgotten how consuming being an Alpha is, and I did not miss this part of the job. I'm being pulled in a million different directions. I feel like I'm being pulled apart.

     People wonder where I've been, they ask about what I did, and they look at me with perplexed expressions. I notice they're eyes following me, they're whispered words.

     They can tell I've changed, that my whole soul has shifted somehow. No one says anything about it directly to me, but they don't have to, I can tell they detect the difference in me.

     Then there's the fact that I can't get away from Hendrix. Everything reminds me of her. I can't escape it.

     It seems that everywhere I turn, I'm looking at a happy mated couple that are doting on each other. It gets worse when Klepto and Ezra have their mating ceremony. Again. It was interrupted last time, after all.

      It's almost nauseating when the jealousy threatens to choke me. I have to turn away.

     As soon as the ceremony is over, I disappear, or try to. At every turn there's someone trying to convince me to stay a little longer, to enjoy the festivities. I just decline without saying a single word, shaking my head adamantly.

     I can't be around any of this for any longer. I have to be alone.

     I stumble through the snow, hearing the cheers and music disappear behind me. Laughs echo off the trees, chasing me into the woods. The moon is wide and glowing in the sky. It reflects off of the snow, making it as bright as day outside.

     Slinking towards the forest, I don't look back, and I don't think about what I'm missing out on. I'd rather not be submerged in pop music and liquor. It takes a lot to get me intoxicated, and I mean a lot. Who wants to drink 10 bottles of Whiskey? No me.

     I don't stop walking. Not when an owl hoots at me, or when a chunk of snow sluffs off a tree limb above me. I'm wearing formal clothes, suit and tie, as is the appropriate attire for a mating ceremony. My dress pants are soaked. I don't care, because I'm drowning. I can't breath. My lungs burn, my eyes water.

     If I weren't immortal, I'd think I was dying.

     I guess love does kill you in a sort of way...

    My mind begins to cool, and I finally slow, glancing around to try to figure out where I am. I wasn't exactly paying attention when my legs pushed themselves forward. All I knew was that I wanted to get away. And now here I am, away, and in the middle of nowhere. I couldn't be happier about it.

     I find the look out I like, a towering cliff that looks over a grandeur of mountains. The Beartooth mountains are beautiful. I remember them being more breathtaking than they are now. And yet, they look less appealing now that I've met my mate.