~Chapter 8~

We all walk out of the conference room and the pilots head to their X-Fighters. I was at mine, making a few fixes, and jump off the control seat. I see Finn and walk up to him, pat him on the shoulder, and walk back toward the Base. I run back to Y/N's room to see her once again before I leave. I knock on the door.

     "Y/N... I'm going to go help out on the mission," I say through the door. There's no answer, and I'm beginning to wonder if she's even there.

     "Ali-," the door opens a bit. I push it open and look inside the room. It's dark, only the faint light from a lamp on the desk gives it any kind of glow. "Where is she?"

     "Commander, we gotta head out," one of my squadron members pat my shoulder, motioning me that we have to leave.

     "Yeah, right behind you," I follow him back outside, making sure to close Y/N's door before doing so.

     When I get to my X-Wing, I see BB-8 rolling up to me, beeping.

     "What is it, buddy?" I ask him, kneeling down. He beeps and whirls again and a piece of paper comes out. I grab it and look at it. It was of Y/N and I hugging on base when we got back from Maz Kanata's Palace.

     "Where and how did you get this?" BB-8 whirls again. I stand up and lightly pat him on the side while laughing.

     "That's not true buddy," I lie to him and we board my ship. I place the picture in my Fighter, smiling at it, and start the engines to head to my next mission. We exit the planet's atmosphere and instantly go into hyperspace.

     "Black Leader, go to sub-lights on your call," I hear from the speaker on my helmet.

     "Roger base. Red squad, Blue squad, take my lead," I press a button and get out of hyperspace. I then engage the X wings on my fighter and speak through the radio, "Almost in range! Hit the target dead center. As many runs as we can get!"

     Blaster shots start shooting everywhere in all kinds of directions.

     "Alright, let's light it up!" I demand, and we start hitting our blasters toward the base.

     "Haha, direct hit!" A pilot shouts.

     "But no damage," another one states.

     "Yeah, we gotta keep hitting it, another bombing run. Remember, when the sun is gone that weapon will be ready to fire. But as long as there's light, we got a chance!" I explain. BB-8 starts to chirp and I look to my right.

     "Guys, we got a lot of company!" I shout out. I start aiming my blasters toward the TIE-Fighters coming our way while they do the same. We shoot down a few of them but they immediately get replaced by more TIE-Fighters coming in range. We even lose a few of our own.

     "I got one behind me, you see it?" Blue leader asks.

     "Yeah, I'm on it," the Red squadron states. We keep dodging blaster shots coming directly toward us.

     "Burillo's been hit."

     "Watch out for ground fire." Another X-Fighter falls to the ground and I keep hitting the TIE-Fighters coming at us, trying to form a plan in my head to blow up the base underneath us. The sun slowly starts to disappear little by little as more TIE-Fighter fall down, and more X-Fighters fall with them. I keep pressing the trigger on my blaster to hit more of the base and the Fighters come after us.

     The sun gets covered up by the clouds above. The sun is going to disappear any moment now and the other pilots slowly begin losing hope.

     "We just lost R-1."

     "We're overwhelmed, what do we do? It isn't working."

     "Black leader! There's a brand new hole in the oscillator." I look down at the base and he was right, the place is lighting up.

     "Looks like our friends got in." Suddenly an idea pops up in my head.

     "Red Four, Red Six, cover us!" I command them.

     "I'm on it!"

     "Roger!"

     "Everybody else hit the target with everything you got!" I order and start to dive in on the base. I fly my fighter right in between the cracks on the base while trying to get myself centered. The laser shots still shooting toward us.

     "I need some help here, I need some help!" I call out.

     "Coming in!"

     "Watch out!"

     "I'm hit!" The X-Wing Fighter crashes to the side and now we are left with three X-Wing Fighters. I look back but I try to focus my attention on the blaster in front of us. We start to dodge them left and right, not getting hit.

     "All teams, I'm going in," I state and start to get ready for impact. "Pull up and cover me."

     "Copy that black leader! Good luck Poe." Both fighters pull up and I disengage the wings and lean to my right to fly inside a crack in the base wall. There's a TIE-Fighter behind me but I knew they couldn't do the stunt I'm about to pull off.

     I fly through the crack and hear the blaster behind me disappear. I start to pull the trigger all over the base's walls and wiring. Once I'm done, I fly out of the same crack I came in and fly out just in time for the base to start blowing up underneath me.

     "All teams, I got eyes on them!" I shout out, seeing the Falcon.

     "Our job's done here, let's get home."