↘︎ chapter thirty-four

34 | The attack of the Death Eaters

Marley Macmillan and the girls had hardly spent more than three hours in their tent, when suddenly she heard quick steps to enter the tent. There were muffled noises and shouts outside. What the hell was going on? Marley slowly opened her eyes and tried to see what was happening. But she was just seeing Mr. Weasley, who would have already awakened his daughter Ginny, and was heading to Hermione when he noticed that Marley was awake.

"Are the Irish still celebra--" Marley tried to speak but Mr. Weasley interrupted her immediately, oppression was written on his pale face.

"Fred thought about the same, but it's not." he replied. "We should get out of here right now! And you don't have time to get dressed. Just take some jacket and leave immediately!"

"But dad, what's going--"

"Come on, Ginny." urged her Mr. Weasley. The girls were already out of bed and wearing only warm sweaters over their pyjamas. "The boys are waiting for me in the tent and we don't have time to leave. Let's go."

Marley still didn't understand what was going on, but when she came out, she saw hundreds of witches and wizards running and screaming, and people with black robes and hoods could be seen in the distance. Who were these and why did they have to attack? They quickly walked into the tent and the boys left, and then everyone gathered around the tent so Mr. Weasley could tell them a few words quickly.

"Is that Mr. Roberts?" frowned confused Harry and pointed to their muggle guard who was flying in the air and some of the men in hooded robes were messing with him and his wife. Mrs. Roberts, however, was hanging upside down and her nightgown had come down, revealing her underwear. The two were at a very high altitude, and the situation was getting worse. The air smelled of smoke and somewhere far away, there was fire.

"Oh, damn it!" mumbled under his nose Mr. Weasley but everyone heard him. "Okay, listen to me. I need to go and help. They're chasing muggles. Bill, Charlie, Percy, you're coming with me. Fred, George, take Ginny and Marley with you. I want you to flee and run to the woods, okay? Don't come until it's all over."

Everyone nodded with their heads. Fred grabbed his sister's arm and they headed for the woods. Marley turned to go to them. Mr. Weasley had disappeared with his oldest sons, and now the girl was alone with Harry, Ron and Hermione, but they too had been lost somewhere. Marley briefly saw Fred and George, and they seemed to be looking for her but could not find her. Marley walked toward them, avoiding the shrieking witches and wizards, as well as the muggle guards of the tents.

She began to move away from the crowd and all the noise, and all the shouts and screams began to become muffled. The bad thing was that she totally lost sight of Fred, George and Ginny, and she had no idea where they were. But she continued to run toward the forest, as Mr. Weasley had instructed them. She hoped to find the twins or at least one of her friends there. She couldn't wander alone in the forest for hours. It wasn't safe.

She had entered the forest and could see almost nothing. She reached for her pocket to pull out her wand and just then stumbled into something and fell. It was a bush that wound her hand on and torn cheek. As she lay down on her belly and the stick was in her hand, she whispered Lumos and her tip lit up.

She managed to stand up and move forward, trying to hide the light of her wand as much as possible, but also to continue to see in the dark forest. She turned back and the landscape of the battle was barely visible - only some torn tents, as well as smoke and fire in the distance. Marley didn't want to know what was going on with the poor Mr. and Mrs. Roberts, so she continued walking.