Chapter 13

"So," I started. "On Saturday, Luke—that's the butler—he took me on a date to a nice restaurant in Wethercross and we had a really good time. And, long story short, today he asked me to be his girlfriend and I said yes!"

"I see," Prince Nikolas said. "And, you are happy about this development?"

"Yes. I'm really excited—I wanted him to ask me to be his girlfriend."

"I see. I am glad that you are pleased, and that this is a step guiding you away from your interest in Coleman, though I won't pretend I personally find this news to be very great."

I felt a pang of surprise in my heart. "Oh, and um, and why is that?"

"Well, Luke is a butler, is he not? I would much prefer that you were courting a nobleman or someone of similar status to that of a Lord."

Wait, that's his problem?

"Wait, really?" I said. "That's your problem, that he's a butler?"

"Indeed. He sounds fine enough, but his status is unfortunate."

"Okay, but I'm literally a maid."

"Exactly," Nikolas said. "That is why it is especially important that you date someone who will elevate you."

"Well I'm not going to date someone just so I can be in higher society or whatever."

"Very noble of you," Nikolas said. "But I believe you can fall in love with a rich man just as easily as a poor man."

I grimaced. "Luke isn't even poor, you know. He's just not a Lord, which I promise you is something I never even thought about back home!"

"Yes, but you are not in the United States anymore. You are in Aregano—in a monarchial country. However, you can still become more prominent in society even without dating into it, though it will be trickier. Though, I suppose you lessen the risk of a nasty fallout with your noble Beaux."

"Okay, well, I'll keep that in mind I guess," I grumbled. "But I didn't call you to discuss that."

"Naturally. You were excited about Luke, I believe?"

"Yeah, I am, but I just eavesdropped on a conversation between him and his Aunt. She's the head housekeeper lady here, by the way."

"And what did you overhear?"

I updated him on the conversation between Luke and Lucille, telling him what happened to the best of my memory.

"So, basically his Aunt thinks I'm some awful vixen who's just going to break Luke's heart, like apparently every other frickin' person, and also apparently everyone saw this 'connection' or something between Coleman and I which is cringe, so that's fantastic!"

"If it is of any comfort, I do not think you are a conniving vixen," he said. "You did seem to abhor my suggestion to date for politics, after all. As to the matter of your dance with Coleman, it was rather obvious that he liked you and that you liked him. I was near King Collin and Queen Klara in the balcony when you two were dancing. In fact, it was King Collin who suggested that the Queen make her announcement as soon as that dance was done. Whether or not it was coincidence or consequence I will leave to you to decide."

"Even King Collin?" I moaned. "Oh, whatever. Enough about stinking Coleman. He's dead to me. Okay, that sounded harsh, but it's just an expression."

"From what you've told me, Luke sounds very insecure when it comes to Prince Coleman, which is very unfortunate. Insecurity is so very unattractive."

"Well, I can't argue that Coleman is clearly a sore spot for Luke, even more so than I realized; that being said, everyone is insecure about something. I daresay even you have an insecurity of some sort!"

I heard a chuckle from Nikolas. "Yes, even I am human, contrary to popular belief. However, this is different than a nominal insecurity. Prince Coleman embodies Luke's insecurity—he is a living, breathing testament to what Luke struggles with, and Luke has to remain by his side all day every day. I'm sure it is chipping away at him, driving a rusty nail deeper and deeper into his heart. He can't escape it. Furthermore, you do have feelings for Coleman."

"No, not anymo—"

"Cassie, don't even try to argue that you are completely over him already. I don't have time for such nonsense. Yes, you may like Luke, but I believe his aunt is partly correct. Luke is a rebound, at least partially. You want to get over Prince Coleman, and the easiest way to do that is to like someone new. It's completely natural. However, you should be cautionary with this new relationship of yours," he said. "Despite my suggestion that you find a more suitable mate, if you really do like this butler, then you need to be careful with how you interact with Coleman. Everything that you do with him will be scrutinized and magnified by your new Beaux. So I suggest you proceed with diligence and caution."

I sat for a moment, mulling over his words. "Yeah, I guess you're right. I have to be careful with Coleman. I don't want to slip back into old habits, you know? I mean, he and I used to fight but despite what I told myself there were definitely flirty undertones. I just have to be careful that that doesn't happen again."

"Indeed."

"Oh, but this stinks! I'm riding with Coleman to the pool party this Friday! What's Luke gonna say?" I cried.

"I don't know. The best you can do is calmly explain the situation, but do not overexplain, and hope that he has a shred of dignity and won't go to pieces over something to insignificant," Prince Nikolas told me.

"Yeah, I guess you're right."

"I usually am. I am glad that you are going to a pool party hosted by a nobleman, though it is rather unfortunate that it is a pool party. I hope you try to talk with many people and make the most of it," Nikolas said. "Even though you are now in a relationship, that doesn't mean you should give up on personal improvement."

"I know," I sighed. "But I mean, what is getting in with noble people even really going to do for me in the long run, anyways?"

"Well, you told me you are an amateur author, are you not? Making important connections could be useful for marketing in the future. These sort of people could open you up to wealth and job opportunities, which in turn could allow you to unique experiences and travel."

"I never thought about the author thing," I admitted.

"I am not surprised," Nikolas said. "Because you aren't really a writer."