Chapter 5: The royals

My heart dropped when I heard a woman's voice full of authority right behind me. I shut my eyes in frustration and turned around to meet another obstacle, but when I faced her, I was too stunned to speak.

She was beautiful.

"I asked who you are." She repeated her words, lifting her eyebrows and demanding an answer.
"Y/N. My name is Y/N." I gulped and glanced at her black hair, perfectly braided into a bun and her soft complexion, creating a beautiful contrast to her dark eyes and hair.

"I've never heard of this name in our castle before. What are you doing here?" She took a step closer, her eyes traveled from my face down to the dress I was wearing. She arched a brow and I automatically compared my dress to the mesmerizing ballgown she was wearing.

I took a deep breath, explaining myself all over again "Yes, I'm not from here. I know this will sound utterly ridiculous, considering how perfectly guarded this castle is, but I accidentally ended up here. I'm not here to harm anyone, please believe me. I'm just trying to find a way back home. That's all I want." My voice broke down and it was then when I faced my crumbling reality in front of me. Suddenly fighting with my own tears, I met her calm expression.

"Come with me" She broke the silence. I had expected the worst but shen she elegantly turned on her heels, I immediately followed her. The doors opened in a beat and I was left speechless when we stepped inside.

"This is my Chamber." She turned around and tilted her head at my shocked expression.

"It's very beautiful" I let my eyes travel around her room before meeting her amused gaze.

"Do you know who I am?" She asked, stepping closer while her maids were standing in a line, staring at us.

I opened my mouth to answer, but I wasn't sure. I haven't seen her face in any historical book. I decided to shake my head and blinked at her taken aback expression.

"That's an insult to a Princess, are you aware of that?"
I stepped back in shock, my jaw dropped open while staring at her.

You just digged your own grave, Y/N. Proud of you!

"Please excuse my lack of knowledge, your highness." I bowed at her in embarrassment.

Just stay calm and act like it's not a big deal for you to stand in the Princess's room and casually talking to her, not a big deal at all.

"Do you have any relatives in Mahiron?" She asked and I scratched my eyebrow, something inside me shifted at the sound of the word 'Mahiron'.

"I don't."

"Where are you from?" The sound of authority in her voice was clear enough to warn me not to lie, but what should I tell her? I couldn't tell her the truth, yet. She'll think I'm crazy. I might be, considering my current ridiculous situation.

"I'm from a village, far away from Mahiron. I can't remember who has brought me to your castle, I must have hit my head somewhere because when I woke up, my limbs were hurting and I couldn't open my eyes. My whole body was in pain." I clutched the side of my head and shut my eyes at the way the lie rolled over my tongue. It was partly true but I despised myself for lying.

I slowly opened my eyes and lowered my head at her strong gaze.

"How old are you?"

"I'm 20 years old, your highness."

She nodded silently, the maids watching us curiously while I stared at my bare feet.

"I'll give you two options: either I call the guards on you, and you'll be executed for sneaking your way into our castle, or you choose to become my handmaid and confidant."