Chapter 3

~Hey, just a warning to those sensitive to violence... there will be abuse, self-harm, and suicidal stuff in this chapter. If you're sensitive, then skip this chapter.~

As soon as she got home from school, Y/n knew something bad was going to happen. The house was still and quiet, with no signs of life anywhere. This was the state the house was in when mom was in a really bad mood. 

She slowly went up the stairs, trembling with fear. What happened? Did something go wrong? Was she in trouble?

Y/n opened the door to her room, and froze when she saw her mom standing there, holding a book. She was holding it open, not turning the page. Y/n's heart stopped when she realized what it was.

"What is this?" Mom asked, her voice dangerously calm. Y/n swallowed, feeling sweat dripping down her spine. 

"I asked a question. Answer me." Mom said, turning to face Y/n. Her face was emotionless, which was never a good sign.

"It's... it's my diary..." She whispered.

"Speak up. I can't hear you."

"My... diary." Y/n repeated, a little louder this time. Her mother looked back at the book.

"Yes, I know that. I'm asking what THIS is." She crossed the room to stand in front of Y/n, holding the book open to a page covered in doodles. A short entry was in the top left corner:

Dear Diary,

I know Mama is wrong. She tells me I'm a liar, but I can see them. I see the ghosts and I talk to them. She tells me I'm a freak, but the ghosts are there. Here they are in my book!

"I didn't realize you were so passionate about this, Y/n." Mom said icily. "You defied me and said I was wrong." Her hand lifted and caressed Y/n's cheek, causing her to flinch in alarm. "You know what happens when you defy me, right?" Her mother cocked her head to the side, staring at Y/n. 

Then, she suddenly and violently slapped Y/n, her ring cutting her cheek open. She sighed, turning and grabbing something off the bed. It gleamed, and Y/n's breathing hitched when she realized what it was.

"I'm very disappointed in you." Mother said, bringing the knife up to Y/n's face. "I thought you were less of a failure than you actually are." Y/n choked back a sob, trying not to cry out of fear and pain.

"All this time, I thought you were trash. You were ugly and stupid, and you were an attention seeker. You made up unbelievable stories about these 'ghosts' you'd see wandering around our old house. The neighbors avoided us because our daughter was a freak of nature. We were forced to move here, to this god awful house, because of YOU, Y/n. YOU!" Her voice raised slightly. "I hate you with every cell in my body, you stupid brat! You're a burden to us all! Why don't you go shoot yourself or something?! It would be a miracle if you died!" Her eyes were wide with anger, a sneer on her face. "You little piece of crap, you should die!"

Y/n stared back, tears streaming down her face, holding back her sobs painfully. Her mother breathed in, stepping back and forcing the knife into Y/n's hands.

"Why don't you use this knife for something useful?" She said, back to her icy calmness. "No one would miss you, after all." With that, she pushed Y/n out of the way and left the room, shutting the door behind her.

As soon as she was gone, Y/n sank to her knees, holding the knife on her lap. She cried and cried, feeling alone and unloved.

Finally, she shakily took the knife in one hand. You should die! Her mother's words rang in her ears. She pressed the knife to her arm, wincing as it sliced through.

Stupid brat. A burden. Ugly. Stupid. Trash. I hate you with every cell in my body!

Every time, a cut was made.

Then, she dropped the knife at her side, her tears still running.

"Mom is right." Y/n whispered to herself. "I should die."

~~~~~~~

Sorry for the depressing chapter.

It made me sad, too.