Part 10

"Abraham, we need to talk."

He looked down at her, "You sound serious? I'd rather we find our rooms first before having a talk, okay? He patted her back and walked through the door that she had entered from

"Abe, wait!" She rushed after him.

"You know, I think I'm going to have to share a room, seeing as I'll be working here, it'll be a nice change." He avoided the subject.

"Uhh... yeah, it will be." As much as Jayne wanted to discuss other matters, she'd have to admit that him having to share a room and make a friend would be beneficial to his own mental health. As well that discussing such a personal conversation should be done in a quiet place where they can sit down.

They had found the Steward of the palace in his office and told them of their situation.

"Hmm, well that's interesting." He didn't seem convinced, "But no matter, Jayne, right? You'll be on the second floor and Abraham, there is as a staff house for the stable boys in the garden, I'm sure there is an extra bed, and if not, sleep on the floor or look for a new job." 

The pair looked at each other in silence at the steward's lack of care for them, "Do you, think... maybe you could show us to our rooms."

"Uhh, I don't get paid enough for this." He got out of his chair, "Seeing as how I'll have to inform the court Physician of a new pupil here, I guess I can show you on the way." He walked passed them and opened the door, not caring to slow his pace down for them.

They arrived on the second floor on the east wing, "All of these doors are all medical-related, the one closest is the infirmary and then you got a small library for research," he said unenthusiastically, "A little plant room for herbs and whatnot, then you got all the room for the doctors, last I remembered the one at the very end is empty so take that one, or not, I don't care." Jayne turned around to thank him, but he had already left the two. They looked at each other and awkwardly laughed and moved to the end of the hall and entered her new room. Luckily there were only a handful of physicians who worked in the palace so she was able to have her own room, unlike Abraham and the abundance of other stable boys.

Her room was small, yes, but cosy, there was a single bed lined up against the back wall and a window showing off the view of the city. There was a desk for work and a few books on a shelf. She reached up to grab one while Abraham closed the door.

"Physicology, this one's about." She thought out loud. She put it back up and looked at another, "Medicine... and surgery?" She hoped that it would never come to that.

"Do you even know anything about being a physician?" Abraham laughed, sitting on her bed.

"I read a book about it." She sat on the chair that came with the desk.

"If all it took was reading a book I'm sure everyone would be a physician." Jayne glared at him,

"Hey, don't look at me like that, I'm only joking, but still, to be working as a physician here seems very impressive."

"Oh come on, it's not like I'm the court physician, I'm simply one of his helpers."

"Yeah but, the fact that they just had a spare room for you, seems very convenient."

She waved a hand, "Please, half the rooms on this wing are empty, stop trying to overanalyse things."

"Still," he shrugged his shoulder, "You would think that you would have to do some sort of test to get in."

" I have a reference from the Duke of Aeolia, so shut your mouth." She said playfully.

But the more she thought about it, the more it didn't make sense, the king just believed her word, for all he could know, she was a fraud that stole Jayne Smith's identity in order to get a job at the castle and assassinate him. It all seemed... too easy.

"Jayne?"

"Huh?" She was brought back to reality.

"You okay?"

"Yeah, yeah... I'm fine, but... are you okay?" She changed the tone

He nervously scoffed, "I'm fine, what would make you think otherwise?"

"Abraham." She spoke gently, how a mother would with their child, "I know how tough it must be for you, but we're safe now, I think it's time to properly grieve."

He didn't say anything, he just looked down to the floor.

"And I'm here for you, and you're here for me, I'm sad too, he was a very good man, but my pain is nowhere near as close to yours, I just... I want you to be alright."

"Why are you doing this?" His voice shooked. He glanced up and she saw his eyes turn red.

"Ignoring it will make it worse." She stood up to crouch underneath him, "Just like a physical wound, if you leave it untreated, it will get worse and it will never heal properly."  She grabbed his head so that he couldn't look away from her, his eyes now flooding, she could hear his unsteady breath.

All they could do was look into each other's eyes, his held so much pain, the once rich brown looked faded and muddy,  "I... I didn't... I didn't even get a chance to bury him."

He broke down. She quickly put her arms around him and cried with him. He nuzzled into a neck, making her shirt dirty with tears and snot. The only sounds that could be heard were his wailing and her soothing words. She rubbed his back and sniffled.

They stayed that way for an eternity until he pulled away, still holding onto her. His hair was dishevelled and he had dried up tears on his cheeks, "Promise me you'll never leave me." He whimpered.

Jayne didn't want to make a promise she couldn't keep, "I'll never leave you." But she had to.

He hugged her. He wanted to stay in this moment forever, to hold her, to know he was not alone. However, all good things come to an end.

The door bashed open, "Hey, you're the new physician the Steward told me about?"

Abraham shot his head to the interrupted voice, how dare he ruin such an intimate moment between them.

"Uh, yeah, why?"

"Well, I guess it's time to prove yourself."

Jayne gently pushed Abraham off her, which he did not like, "What do you mean?"

"The crown prince, he's gotten into a riding accident."