𝖝. 𝔟𝔲𝔱𝔠𝔥𝔢𝔯 𝔬𝔣 𝔟𝔩𝔞𝔳𝔦𝔨𝔢𝔫

RUSELM'S BESTIARY
CHAPTER TEN ─ BUTCHER OF BLAVIKEN
DISCLAIMER: Much of this chapter is from Sapkowski himself, from The Last Wish, which I have edited and added my own touches to. Many Witcher fans haven't read the novels so if you like the writing in this chapter, I urge you to go give them a read! In this chapter, I've mixed my style with Sapkowski's since Ruselm is the addition to this entire scene with Renfri and the bandits.

RENFRI STOOD STIFFLY in front of the sorcerer's tower, a gorgeous jeweled dagger in her hands as she used the overly extravagant fish-head knocker once more

RENFRI STOOD STIFFLY in front of the sorcerer's tower, a gorgeous jeweled dagger in her hands as she used the overly extravagant fish-head knocker once more. The brass ring fell heavily against the door once, twice, and for a third time. It blew steam but otherwise remained silent as she glared at it. Ruselm was told beforehand to stand just behind her and was still rooted in place until further instruction could be given.

"I know you're in there, Stregobor!" Renfri howled.

The fish-head remained motionless.

"I've brought a friend with me, have you seen him?" She continued. "He's quite like you!—Assuming he knows the ways of the world, assuming he can determine what fate really means. You would get along very well, I'd wager. The both of you and your cruelity."

Silence ensued.

Was this wizard even in his tower? Ruselm found himself doubting whether the man was even listening. His heart began a race in his chest the longer the fish-head remained silent. Time was ticking away. His time was ticking away.

Insects buzzed and filled the silence but everything was otherwise very still.

Renfri wasn't giving up. "His name is—well what does his name matter? You don't care, do you? You'll remain up there in your pretty little tower even if I slit his handsome throat. You'll watch from above and toast to your own health because that's what you are, Stregobor. You're a coward. A fucking useless, shitty coward."

Slit my throat? Ruselm found it suddenly hard to swallow.

The fish-head blew more steam, its jaws moving slowly. The voice that came from it was tired and small. And, for the first time that morning, it spoke. "Now watch your language, Princess."

"And why should I do that, wizard?" A smirk grew on Renfri's pretty features, victory made it clear that she was becoming more vicious. She knew she was succeeding.

"You've a guest with you, Princess," the fish-head remarked.

"A guest?" Renfri laughed, eyes flashing as she glanced back at Ruselm. His blood chilled at the sight of her. "He's no guest. Tell me, Stregobor, how long do you plan to stay in that tower of yours?"

"As long as it takes for you to leave me in peace."

"Like you left those girls in their towers to die in 'peace?' Don't you find it ironic that you're hiding in the very thing you entrapped others in?" Renfri was speaking quicker now, the words tumbling from her mouth just as fast as she could think them. "If you come down right now, I'll spare my guest, as you put it. He won't have to die. You, on the other hand, will, but I can be merciful. I can grant you a quick death but this is the only chance you get."