【72】Fierce Competition

I wasn't sure what to answer Lex, because I wasn't even certain myself what had happened

I wasn't sure what to answer Lex, because I wasn't even certain myself what had happened. Honestly, I shouldn't even have been feeling so bad about this, but I couldn't help myself. It felt as though I'd done something wrong.

"We were just talking," Oliver answered. Yeah, that, until you tried to kiss me...

Lex didn't seem to buy the explanation, as he cocked up an arrogantly inquisitive brow, looking straight at me. My palms were sweaty, and I had a bad feeling about this. "What he said," I confirmed, intimidated, pointing at Oliver. "Apparently, I dance like I belong in The Sims."

Not amused in the slightest, Lex didn't comment and kept looking at the both of us. "I need a word with Andrea," he eventually demanded. Oli understandably found it odd, so he sent Lex a questioning glance. But Lex answered nothing, his attitude way too calm. Under his stern facade, I worried there was a raging battle ongoing. Eventually, Oli gave up with a shrug.

"I was going back anyway," he mumbled, going to the door.

Once we were both alone in the room, the tension – which was already pretty high – went up even more. Stop feeling guilty, you didn't do anything wrong.

"What the fuck was that?" Lex asked angrily, coming closer to me.

"I don't know. I think he tried to kiss me," I explained, choosing to speak the truth. He had seen something anyway. There was no point denying it. "I think he drank a little too much."

"And what's your excuse?" he demanded bitterly.

His unfair accusation knocked the air out of my lungs. Appalled, I gave him a scandalized glare. "My excuse?"

Anger slowly warmed up my blood. Oh, no. I truly hoped he wasn't accusing me of infidelity, because it was not only untrue but also insulting. Lex's eyes kept drifting to my fake mustache, and I worried he wouldn't take me seriously because of it. Honestly, I wouldn't either. With an annoyed move, I ripped it off, wincing at the burning pain it brought.

"You were here too. In the dark. With him."

"Yeah, I needed a quiet moment, because it got a bit too much out there. I didn't know he was in here."

"But then you knew, and you stayed."

"What! So I can't even be in the same room as Oli anymore?" I asked, confused and angry. At least, it distracted me from the burning sensation lingering under my nose, where I'd violently ripped the hairy accessory. He was being ridiculous. I got how he was jealous, but this wasn't rational.

"Not when you're drunk and he is too."

"I'm not drunk, barely tipsy. And I mean it this time," I answered, trying to remain calm but failing. He wouldn't trust me, and it hurt greatly. "I was just thrilled to be with my friends and colleagues. I was having a great time and a lot of fun. My spirit was high, and that's the extent of it. But do you know what I was even more elated about?" I asked, waiting for him to tell me to go on, but he didn't say anything, expecting me to continue.