chapter 46 ; sickness

MANY MONTHS LATER

MANY MONTHS LATER

...

THE SUNLIGHT BEAMED graciously from above, drizzling rays of summer warmth across the group's skin as they went about their days. The group had considerably evolved since their return from Woodbury, ensuring to bring along all of the individuals who craved a fresh start; an opportunity to be free from the confinements of totalitarianism. They merited a chance to be as free as every last member of the prison group, expanding their family tenfold. Ellie had been sat quietly in the grass with Coda between her legs, building small daisy-chains from faultlessly plucked daisies from the perfectly cut pasture beneath them. Everything had seemed to be perfect.

From a distance, Ellie sighted Daryl as he strolled casually across the courtyard, avoiding the various calls from group members as they greeted him warmly. It had been apparent to the original group survivors how Daryl's charm and mystery had fuelled their intrigue, deeming him a rather popular member of the group. His cheeks flushed a deep crimson shade as he detected Ellie glimpsing at him in the distance, feeling his heart leap up to his throat.

Neither one had uttered a word to one another since their return from Woodbury, and yet, almost every evening, the two would spend intimate and passionate evenings together. It was no secret the two had yearned for one another so intensely that it left them speechless when it came to the morning after. Their routine was special, yet, Ellie couldn't help but shake the feeling that Daryl would be wanting more. It had been far too early for Ellie to decide in which direction their relationship would eventually go. She knew a conversation was overdue, yet couldn't quite push herself to voice it aloud.

Ellie's inability to move on from their encounter with the Governor many months ago had left a bitter taste in everyone's mouths. Succumbing to bouts of idle stances and vacant stares, Ellie had often found herself deep in a trauma she could not crawl out of. Reuniting with her sister had been the pinnacle of all the disaster the Governor had peppered on the prison, right before his final meal. Only, his disappearance left the group entirely baffled. They had been sure he'd return, for his vow had been to end the prison, not let it thrive as it had been. Ellie had not wanted to find him, but rather could not escape the anger deep in the pit of her stomach. The anger only seemed to melt away the very moment Daryl's lips touched hers.

Ellie slowly hauled herself to her feet, allowing River and Carl to guard Coda as the blonde slowly approached Daryl. Daryl halter in his stance casually, feigning a shock that she had approached him. She cheerfully nodded in his direction, but ensured to avert her gaze from his. Their encounters had become more awkward by the second, prompting Ellie to, finally, take the reigns with a deep courage.

"You want to get something to eat?" Ellie questioned jovially, plastering her best platonic smile that she could muster.

Daryl nodded slowly, overwhelmed by inner anxieties as he had notified her hesitance to form eye contact. It was more evidence to him that Ellie didn't love him anymore. Enticed by the painfully satisfying scent of grilled meat, the two proceeded ahead casually, strolling along toward Carol as she had been preparing food nearby on a grill. They halted ahead of the woman, whose face lit up by the instant Daryl had been in her vicinity. Ellie's eyes rolled involuntarily at Carol's inability to conceal her evident feelings for Daryl, but, that simply wasn't Ellie's business anymore.