Act I. x

Xaela made her way through the ship in search of the generals in charge of the rescue mission. She was only back at the temple for a day before the High Council sent her on yet another assignment, she barely had any time to breathe. The Council made sure she kept busy with mundane tasks.

She was told it was led by Jedi - which was a slight relief because she had just been on a mission with a completely incompetent general, and at least she could have a bit of faith that the Jedi were capable.

And all that flew out the window when she saw Anakin.

"Young Padawan!" She addressed as she came up behind him.

Anakin turned around to see who called him, his face immediately lighting up at seeing the shock of white in a sea of onyx hair.

"Xaela!" He greeted and took the last couple steps towards her.

They greeted each other as if they hadn't been separated for months on end.

"Looks like you're still alive. How's your training?" She asked him.

"The Council is looking to grant me Knight status soon." Anakin said. "They need more commanders for the war."

"A horrible decision, really." Xaela teased and Anakin pushed her head back as they both laughed.

When they calmed down, Anakin grew serious.

"Obi-Wan misses you."

Her heart swelled at the thought of him, automatically thinking of the night they kissed and how nice his lips felt on hers. But she didn't want Anakin to know. She hadn't spoken to him since, and no one needed to know.

"As he should." She said and her friend raised an eyebrow, clearly shocked at something.

"You know I can still read your thoughts." He said.

"You know you're still annoying."

Anakin rolled his eyes.

"What about you and Padme?" Xaela lowered her voice.

The Padawan seemed a bit surprised. He looked side to side to see if anyone was watching. When no one was, he still grabbed Xaela's arm and pulled her away towards a wall.

"What about me and Padme?" He said very low.

"I saw you two, on Geonosis." Xaela said and something in Anakin's face showed relief.

"We're married."

Xaela clamped a hand over her own mouth to stop her from doing anything stupid, her eyes widened heavily.

"Oh, Anakin." Xaela whispered, eyebrows drawn in.

"At least I didn't make out with my Master."

"You got married!" She whisper shouted, and Anakin didn't want to hear her disappointment or a lecture so he opened his mouth to tell her off but she interrupted. "Congratulations!"

"Con-what?" Anakin shook his head. "You're not upset?"

"How can I be?" Xaela smiled. "It already happened, what am I gonna do? Go back in time?"

Anakin sighed in relief and ran a hand over his face.

"And I didn't make out with Obi-Wan." She protested.

"Oh, but you wanted to."

~*~

"Master, our partner has arrived." Anakin walked into the control room, Xaela trailing behind him.