43

Serenity Nicole Newton

"You okay?" Mia asked making me nod. We just found out they almost lost Cortez. He was shot 4 times in the chest. I hope he was getting tired of this shit cause he was shot like 7 times in matter of weeks. He slipped into a coma though. Meaning I have to step up and run everything for him with the help of my brother. Since he's business and everything. Daniel is gonna handle the illegal stuff.

"Baby girl." I heard Daniel say behind me. It caught me off guard, I looked at him raising one eyebrow.

"yea? Ma not with you right?"

"She is actually." He said making me shake my head.

"Why?"

"You are her baby girl . She still loves you and y'all need to talk Serenity without the yelling and the cussing . That's still your mother at the end of the day. You really wanna lose both parents?"

"She had my best friend killed. You made the call to kill our best friend. As far as I'm concerned I lost both parents." I spat shaking my head. "Alive or dead, she's dead to me."

"Serenity talk to her."

I scoffed, "Right now isn't a good time for this bullshit. You lucky i'm talking to you! I just found out my boyfriend is in a coma and got shot. On top of that I found I'm pregnant and I can't celebrate with him? Not the right time for this man."

"Pregnant?" Daniel said as his eyes lit up. I rolled my eyes and look through the window at Cortez. I hate seeing him with tubes in his body. I hate seeing him like this period. I wanted him to wake up now but I knew the pain he would experience.

"Yes." I said softly wiping my tears away.

"Awn so you the fish?"

"Mhmm I'm the fish."

"Serenity." I heard my mama say behind me. "Please?"

"Ma this isn't really a good time okay!" I said shaking my head. She walked over to me and hugged me.

"I know how it feels okay."

"Yea you're time doesn't really fucking count does it! Move bruh." I said shaking my head. Every time I see her it angers me even though i wanna talk to her.

"Please." She spoke softly. I smacked my lips and shrugged.

We walked to the cafeteria and sat down far away from
each other.

"How you been doing?" She asked me making me shrug.

"I'm breathing ain't I." I mumbled looking down. "You?"

"I'm breathing ain't I?"

"Mhm...we know who ain't?" I asked tilting my head to the side.