Chapter Twelve

Opening my eyes to the bright sun filtering in through the window, three things immediately came to mind.

The very first thought was how bright it was without the use of curtains. The second was remembering last night and how amazing it was. Just eating in bed, watching a movie marathon, and in the arms of the man who is apparently your soulmate. Though, I could not think of what he said. I just was not ready yet. The third thing that came to mind was how warm it was under the thick arm holding me to him.

Wiggling a little, trying to move, I succeeded in turning just enough to be on my back so I could stare at him. Not exactly what I had in mind, but not necessarily a bad outcome either. I chuckled to myself.

Staring at him in his sleep was something so completely different than while he was awake. Jonah could not be considered boyish, even relaxed like he was while sleeping. But the rugged lines of his face were just enough relaxed that it felt like I was seeing a piece of him only I got to see. Smiling, I raised a hand to his face but stopped just short of touching him. I did not want to wake him but my eyes wandered all over his face, staring at how the light played over his features.

When I looked up I was startled to find glowing eyes smiling at me.

We had progressed in our relationship so much. At least in the area of being comfortable with each other.

We kissed some and held each other in our sleep. We talked often and about things that meant a lot to us.

I was still unsure of what any of it meant for us or how I was supposed to proceed in our relationship. But I hoped to soon get some more one-on-one talks with Ana.

I felt she was the only one I could talk to about this situation.

Clarisse might be of some help but I still felt like she would not fully understand what I was going through.

I knew I was beginning to feel romantic feelings for Jonah. But I could not figure out if they were just forming because of the situation we were in. The fact he saved me, was apparently my soulmate, and the fact we kissed sometimes and slept in the same bed. Or if that was just our story and I was beginning to fall for him.

But I could not make myself take any "next step" until I figured out this internal battle I was having.

Even though I knew he wanted to move our relationship along based on his eyes. I have learned when his eyes glow it means he's feeling some strong emotions like anger or desire.

Shaking away my thoughts I smiled at him and said softly, "Didn't know you were awake. Did I wake you?"

He chuckled softly and shook his head no.

I finally touched his face, following the line of his jaw, and said, "You should've told me."

His voice sounded even gruffer from sleep as he said, "Then I wouldn't have had such a wonderful wake-up call."

I blushed and glanced down but then felt my face tilted up. Then he kissed me gently.

He pulled me towards him, rested his forehead against mine, and whispered, "I can't wait until we are home and I can just stay in bed with you all day instead of constantly having to handle pack business."

Still blushing, my eyes widened, "Awfully presumptuous."

He chuckled and shook his head a little, "Not like that. I mean sleeping in, talking, watching movies...or that when the time is right. But here, my guard is never down and we are surrounded by many other packs. Many other men. And we have to constantly be present. No staying in our room or pushing back on our responsibilities."