• 31 •

Cecil sniffled, wiping her tears, the skin around her eyes red and sore from her crying. She revealed the rock she had been hiding in a pouch at her calf, taking it out and placing it in centre of the circle.

"Cecil."

Cecil, who was already feeling weak from the crying, was startled so badly she collapsed to the ground. She blinked rapidly, causing more tears to stream out.

That...that is the great lord protagonist's voice. He...he never calls me by my name.

...have I gone crazy?

She turned to the source of the voice, noticing it was from the trees. Eventually, someone stepped out.

Ash blonde hair.

Grey eyes.

Extremely handsome.

It was Xue, but at the same time, his mien was drastically different.

Xue...? No...it doesn't feel like Xue.

That's not Xue.

"Cecil," he called out again, his silvery voice ringing clearly in her ears.

I'm not dreaming. I'm not crazy.

He is really calling me, by my name.

He approached Cecil who was still in a state of shock. He leaned down, stretching his hand out.

"Don't cry, I don't feel good seeing you like this," he frowned in concern, gesturing for Cecil to take his hand. "Come on, I'll help you up."

Cecil took his hand, dazed, and he pulled her up with ease. She stumbled right into his arms due to her weak legs, and "Xue" stabilised himself, supporting both of them, his hand on her back.

She pulled back, her red eyes showing confusion as she stared at him.

"It's good...to see you again, Cecil. I'm really, really happy to be able to see you again."

"..."

"...K-Kai?"

Kai revealed a toothy grin.

Despite it being Xue's appearance, his bright and gentle mien, and his trademark toothy grin, Cecil recognised him instantly.

Cecil exhaled sharply, her expression complicated.

"K-Kai...? Bu-but how?"

Kai lifted his hand, wiping at her face and brushing the strands of hair away from her face. "It turns out my consciousness was still present in--why are yo-you crying again?!"

Cecil sobbed, tears flowing out again and Kai panicked, not knowing what to do.

Seeing his reaction and his panicked movements as he patted her head gently, bending down to talk to her face to face, his hands flailing helplessly.

Cecil felt herself laughing as she cried.

It's Kai.

It's really him.

"Ce-Cecil! Don't cry, I-I didn't know that my disappearance affected you this much!" Kai said, until he realised what his words meant and he grinned again.

He paused.

"You were crying over me?" Kai questioned with a hint of glee.

Cecil looked at him, seeing the imaginary happy ears and tail wagging again.

She didn't hesitate to hug him, tightly.

She nodded vigorously against his chest, and anyone could hear the joy in her voice. "Yes, I was crying over you. I'm so happy to see you again too, Kai."