Chapter 21

I was folding Maddie's clothes, piling it neatly into her suitcase. Her cousin Angela came in and asked to speak to her in private. That was about 15 minutes ago.

"Alex, right?" A male voice came from the doorway.

I looked up to see a tall guy, maybe in his early twenties. He had jet black eyes and dark brown eyes. I smiled and nodded.

"I'm Chase. Angie's boyfriend." He said shifting on his feet.

"Nice to meet you Chase. I guess you got left out of the private conversation too." I chuckled.

He returned my laugh and nodded. We proceeded to chat, I steered away from myself and asked about him. He just graduated as an architect a few months ago and started work a few days later. He'd met Angela at the coffee shop she works at part time. He was smitten with her from day one.

"So how do you think Maddie is going to take the news?" Chase said nervously.

"News? What news?"

Chase looked down the hall then stepped inside the room. He knelt down so he was level with me. "Angie was going to ask her to move out. She doesn't want to but she kind of needs the space now."

I laughed. "Well that works out perfectly, I just asked her to move in with me. Why does she need the room though? I'm guessing you're moving in with her?"

"Angie's pregnant."

"Oh my god!" I shrieked. "Congratulations!" I hugged him quickly, he blushed.

"Thanks. It was unexpected but I really want this to work out with her, you know?" He said getting back to his feet.

"Do you love her?" I asked, looking up at him.

He smiled, a loving look in his eyes. "I do, very much."

"Then that's all that matters."

"ARE YOU SERIOUS!? ANGIE!" Maddie screamed from down the hall.

Chase took off running down the hall, I was close on his heels. He threw open Angela's bedroom door in a panic. Expecting the worse only to find the opposite. Maddie was hugging Angela tightly and they were both in tears.

"Everything okay?" Chase asked cautiously.

"MY COUSIN IN HAVING A BABY! YOU'RE HAVING A BABY CHASE! IM SO HAPPY FOR YOU GUY'S!" She squealed in excitement, pulling Chase into the hug with them.

I laughed at the joyful sight. It was nice to see them all so happy, it almost made me forget about Derek. Even if only for a few minutes.

After all the excitement was over with, Chase helped us move Maddie's furniture. The move went alot quicker with his help, we were both thankful for that. Maddie made plans with Angela to go shopping for a crib next week. I knew I'd have alot of schoolwork to catch up on so I declined the invite. I reassured Maddie I'd be fine alone for a few hours. She was reluctant at first but soon caved

The rest of my night consisted of us putting her furniture back together, eating pizza and throwing socks at each other. It felt amazing to be home again, just horsing around, not a care in the world. Monday morning was still looming in the back of my mind. I wasn't about to let it consume me. I wanted to get back to normal, I needed to.

~*~

Monday came quicker then I'd anticipated. I sat on the school parking lot with Maddie. The fear of going inside was eating me alive. Maddie squeezed my hand, reassuring me it would be okay. Maybe she was right. I really hoped she was right.