Chapter 22

The last bell of the day finally rang, I was still hiding in the corner of the library. I couldn't bare to go back to Mr. Gardner's class for my afternoon lessons. So like a rebel high school senior, I skipped. I was just finishing the last chapter of my book when I heard someone clear their throat.  I looked up to see Mr. Gardner standing on the other side of the sitting area.

"You missed my class this afternoon." He stated matter-of-factly.

I returned my attention to my book. "I know."

"Alex, you didn't have to come back to class so soon after coming home. You've gone through something traumatic. You need time to heal." He spoke softly.

"I have healed." I said, still not looking at him.

"Not physically Alex, you need to heal mentally and emotionally too."

"Yes, dad." I spat sarcastically, rolling my eyes.

"I just want what's best for you Alexandra. I'm sure your dad would too." He said sternly.

I slammed my book shut, throwing it in my backpack. "Well I guess we'll never know, because he's dead."

I watched as Xavier's face paled in horror. "Alex I-I didn't know. I'm so sorry."

"I don't exactly go around telling everyone. It's no one's business but my own." I stood up and threw my backpack over my shoulder. I started to leave when Xavier grabbed my arm.

"Alex, about earlier.. I'm sorry." His words were sincere.

"Don't worry about it. Already forgotten." I said dismissively.

"This is what I'm talking about Alex!" He shot back, "You were never cold like this. You need time to heal."

"How exactly is sitting at home by myself going to help me heal?" I retorted. "I'm just making myself a sitting duck for Derek to fucking kidnap me again. I'll take my chances going to class, thanks."

I pulled my arm out of his grip and stormed out of the library. I know I could talk to him if I wanted too. But my mind still couldn't process the fact he was a real person and not one of Derek's disguises. I stood outside the library and looked around the parking lot. It was practically empty. I pulled my phone out to see a text from Maddie.

"Hey! Had to take off a little early. Call a cab and I'll pay the fare. Sorry! Love, M xo"

I rolled my eyes and shoved my phone back in my pocket. Maybe a walk would help me clear my mind. I put my headphones in and hit shuffle on my playlist. It would take me about 20 minutes to walk home but I didn't mind.

I'd been walking roughly 10 minutes when it started to rain. I huffed in annoyance, you have got to be kidding me. I pulled up my hood and kept my head down to avoid getting wet. I heard a loud horn honk nearby and looked up from the sidewalk. There was a black Nissan Maxima stopped next to me. The window rolled down, revealing Mr. Gardner. I started walking again, only for him to follow alongside of me.

"Alex, get in. It's pouring." He called out to me.

"How do I even know you're really Xavier?" I snapped.

"Alex you just left the library ahead of me. You told me your dad was dead after I made an ass of myself." He groaned.

"Did you follow me?" I asked, raising my eyebrow.

"No, I live this way." He said putting his hand up.

I crossed my arms, rasing an eyebrow at him. I knew he was just trying to help, but I couldn't trust him, not anymore. I couldn't trust anyone.