Chapter nine - In which your eyes are purple

Author's note: Hey guys! I'm getting really frustrated at Wattpad at the moment, when I posted the other day this went up by like twenty reads overnight and then I've had nothing for about four days, and ten minutes ago it shot up like another thirty?? What are y'all doing?? Heh, oh well, it's not like I care if people are reading this story anyway.... I lie, I really want you guys to be reading and enjoying this pile of shit I've spent so long on XD So, here's chapter nine - leave a comment/vote if you enjoy! <3

...

The team reacted with lightning speed; before you'd even fully comprehended what was happening they were gone from your side, fighting to get towards the middle of the scrum. You focused on getting people out of the way, remembering what Nat had told you in training about getting civilians to safety first and foremost.

Things had gone from zero to a hundred super quickly, and your head span as you tried to focus on helping people up off of the floor and herding them away from danger. You hadn't realised how loud it was going to be, the yells and screams of people around you mingled with the shouts of the team through your earpiece and the frighteningly close sound of the guns. Your gaze fell upon a person was being trampled as people fled from the scene and you rushed to help, hauling them to their feet and telling them to get away, right as you had a horribly strong feeling that something was wrong.

The sound of Tony and Bucky yelling at you to get down through your earpiece almost deafened you, but instead of ducking you automatically spun around and threw your hands up defensively. The bullet stopped an inch from your face, reminding you of a knife you had seen there recently. You could see the shooter now, staring at you in disbelief as the purple mist vanished, allowing Tony to rugby tackle him to the ground and get the gun off of him.

"One's down." Tony grunted to the others as he wrestled with the man.

"There are two others, some people are injured over here." you heard Nat say through your earpiece, and ran across to where there were still two active shooters. There was a girl, she couldn't have been much younger than you, on the floor covered in blood and clutching her leg, surrounded by three other girls who were trying to drag her out of harm's way. Some other people were trying to come back over to help too, that was bad, you needed them out of the way. The rest of the team were surrounding the other two shooters while Tony held the other one, so you ran to help try and move this girl with her tearful friends.

"Someone get something to stop the bleeding, a hoodie, anything. Put pressure on it; we need to try and lift her. On three, okay? Get her behind that tree." you told them, trying not to look directly at all the blood. Together you half lifted, half dragged the girl across the ground towards the trees, but only got half-way before you had to stop. There was a yell from through your earpiece and then several shouts of "Clint!". 

Shit. That didn't sound good.

"Stop, don't let him run! Steve- Y/N!"

This time you weren't ready, still carrying the now half unconscious girl. You dropped the arm you were holding (gently, you hoped) and turned to stand in front of the small group of people behind you. One of the shooters was running, reloading the gun as he did so, but faltered as he saw you stood in front of the group, apparently completely vulnerable.

"Y/N, do your thing! Get him to stop!"

"I can't just do it! I don't know how, I-" you faltered as the shooter directed the gun towards you, watching helplessly as he pulled the trigger... but not before Steve threw his shield and knocked the gun clean from his hand. The bullet missed by a mile. Bucky prevented him from running any further by knocking him out with a punch to the jaw, watching him collapse in distaste.